Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thoughts on Quitting...

I am not quitting ironman or triathlons have no worry about that. I don't even like to think about quitting, I am too darn stubborn. Oh sure I can alibi cutting a swim, ride or run short but that's not what I am thinking about today.

I have a weird take on quitting. I think there is two dominant types of quitters; those that quit something because they are motivated but otherwise overwhelmed by circumstances and those that quit because they had nothing invested to begin with.

For those that have nothing to gain to begin with, quitting is a normal almost everyday occurrence. These are people that have no vision, purpose or direction in life and instead of stretching themselves just a little bit to become better they never start, settle for less than excellent, do the minimum in life.

For those that are motivated but otherwise overwhelmed; these are people with high intention but terribly frustrated by the cruel hand dealt them that day. We can all describe our thoughts on wanting that long workout but its cut short by multiple flats, body aches, work issues or whatever. That happens and really is not what I would describe as classic quitting. Its being overwhelmed and having to make a decision based on sacrifice. Do you sacrifice three days of blisters and hobbling on your feet just to finish a 10 mile run? Many of us would say yes. Would you begrudge someone else for saying no? Probably not.

The point of my issue is not that the thought of quitting is wrong. In fact I think the thought of quitting is right.

If you are passionate about something, be it work or triathlons or a different hobby; wanting to quit means that you have something to give up. You have something you care about and the thought of giving it up, of quitting, gives you a terrible feeling.

I also think the more you are invested into something, the more you think about quitting. Its like when you move up the ladder at work or going from a sprint distance to signing up for an ironman the following year; the more responsibility you have to others or yourself the more you want to quit. Its natural for us 'A' type personalities to step up for responsibility and then perfectly natural to doubt that you can get it done. You have assumed responsibility for it.

So I want to change your paradigm. Its okay to think about quitting, because chances are you will not. For those of us that take on responsibilities like management or ironman or even say parenthood, quitting really means that your committed to wanting to do a good job, your just overwhelmed at your current situation.

Go forward.

9 comments:

Flatman said...

awesome. you must be reading my mind. thanks.

tarheeltri said...

Good relevant post. Thanks!

Habeela said...

I've never thought of quitting like this but I think I like this idea.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Profound thoughts. Just what I needed. Last week I WAS thinking about quitting IMFL but I pushed through it. Thanks for putting it into your words!

tri-mama said...

I'll take this in my mental tank Sunday-good thoughts.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

It's only natural to question our motivations and objectives from time to time. It helps to keep us focused and defines our resolve.

Well written post, Comm.

Stay tuned...

Cliff said...

Good post..

the paradox of quitting.. :0

Rainbow said...

I completely agree with you and Tribloomer. I really believe that you have to reach higher. Reaching higher means stretching yourself. Stretching yourself can be scary, and may lead you to that desire to quit. You really put foward something for us to think about.
take care Comm.

WB said...

I know what you mean, Com.. I was in IMF for 2006, but I quit. It was circumstances for me. Fifteen hours a week training was too much to do at this point in my life. I am married with two young children. The training schedule made life difficult on my wife. Had I continued with the training schedule, I probably would have ended up divorced, with no children living with me.

So, it was a matter of priorities for me. Maybe when the kids are a little older I can get out there and do IMF.