Tuesday, August 8, 2006

I ran today

Yes I know, I am being treated for a stress fracture.

Yes I know, I am having more pain in my ankle than from stress fracture.

Of course I noticed that it's 103* and 26% humidity. You may scoff at the humidity but considering the norm around here is 3%, thats a big increase.

I had a two hour walk planned and I did start out walking, for a mile. Then thought lets just see what happens. I ran three miles at 10:30 pace. I walked for a mile then did another 3 miles at 10:30 pace. My total pace time with the whole 9 miles was 12:30 per mile.

I have no illusions. This was not smart and I am not planning on running on a regular basis from here on out. This was just a test. A small step if you will to moving gback the shadow in my conscious mind that is doubting Florida.

Mission Accomplished. Time to rest.

7 comments:

bunnygirl said...

Take it easy with that running! And if you just have to run, try using scheduled walk breaks. It's no time to be a running purist when you're injured or recovering from an injury.

Good luck!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

The only thing harder than running is not running.

Flatman said...

What does your PT say about this???

BE CAREFUL!

Brad said...

What about running in the pool? I have a friend that is trying to qualify for the Olympics (Marathon)and she just recently twisted her ankle and the doc said no running for a month but she is scheduled to run the Chicago Marathon in October. So, she has been running in the pool. I have read articles about elite marathoners only training in the pool leading up to a race because of injury and they post their normal times in a race. Just a thought...Inside Triathlon had an article regarding pool running a couple months back.

Andy said...

I kind of feel the same way. I had that shoulder muscle issue, except for the fact that it is not a fracture, so it healed faster. I tried it out the other day, and felt ok. I am still a bit sore, but I am taking it easy. I am still worried though, I have that race soon. Get better. We want you well for your IM race in November.

Murtha...

Chris said...

Brad has a good point. I hear that aqua running is a very good way to maintain and improve real running fitness. It's supposed to be boring as all hell, but it works!

mipper said...

Wait, i have been gone! You have a stress fracture?!

Cooooommmmmmm! you know better than to do that. but i understand your urge completely. it is so hard to not run. pain or not. luckily you know that you are not going to do this all the time. i had doctors and PTs telling me to run like normal. it wasn't until i told them all that my normal running is longer than half a mile and doesn't end in tears that they finally listened to me though.

please, please be careful. i ran on my fracture and i still (5 months after teh initial pain, 2 months post cast) cannot run. at all. not even a hundred yards. i end up paying for it for hours afterwards. just listen to your body and not your internal athletic drive. usually the body knows better.

take care.