Monday, August 28, 2006

Race Report #5 2006- The Practice Race

The undreground tri that John, The Machine and I hashed out for an AzTriClub workout was a tremendous success. There were at least a dozen triathletes who showed up for either the long course or short course. Well there was actually only four of us who went long.

There were some logistic issues to contend with and as it turned out the set distances that were planned for the short and long courses became more of a guideline if you will. Most went long or short of the planned turnarounds which made a ranking system out of the question.

Since this race is on the low-low, we did not have buoy markers or aid stations. The person who was to be standing on shore at the turn around for the swim did not show up there so I and a few others went long. I went real long and easily ended up adding an extra 1,000 meters to my swim.

I was the last to leave our transition area for the llonger course ride, but the short course winner, Karl finished the short as I was leaving. For those that remember the name, he is the ironman that ran a half marathon with a halo screwed into his head for a broken neck.

My bike ride was all hills and all zone 4/5. I will put the graph up highlighting this part of the course. I have been spending so much time on the flats just spinning away that the steep inclines beat me up pretty good.

As I got back everyone was sitting around the table drinking beer and celebrating their workouts. I was told that the run course was unrunnable and to just run a circuit around the campgrounds one time equalling two miles. I did not have a problem with that.

Mistress and Mo came to see me and drove by me while on the bike course. It was nice to see them standing on the road yelling, "Go Daddy Go!" Bless them.

When I got done with my run, I went down to the water to cool off and then Mistress went for her first open water swim in years. She was very happy as she was a miler and medley swimmer for Washington State University. We watched her stroke out like a bullet and then flip over into a perfect backstroke for a while, then tear out for a good swim and back. I love my wife and I am very jealous of her swim ability.

Finished the workout with a triple cheeseburger from Wendy's. Gotta love when your in a 5,000 calorie defiecit at noon on a weekend.


3 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

5000 calorie deficit? Heck, I want to use your calorie calculator! By mine, that equals about 33 miles of running, which unfortunately I am unable to complete by noon on any day of the week.

Bolder said...

5,000?

was there a no nutrition rule on this underground??

i hear what you are throwin' down though, i went to the Chop House last night and had corn bread, a filet and a big brew!

Comm's said...

I burned 3,000 in the training race, add 2000 for my BMR, course you need to add back the four bud lights I drank when i got done. Okay so only 4,600 calories under for the day.