Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Sticking to the Plan...

As many of you know, I have a bit of a "Push the envelope" mentality when it comes to training. I am trying to get better about not going over the edge but first I have to remember that when I see the edge, I can't automatically assume I can fly over it.

Some of our spouses, (well not mine) might find it strange when we talk about ego. "You have an ego on the bike?" Ego, yes in the sense that no one likes to be out rode or sped past and there is that urge to get past them or keep up when you know DAMN WELL that your half way through a 50 miler and they could have just started their 12 miler, but you don't know.

So I wrote this stuff on my arms for my long ride Sunday. I knew if I looked at my arms while in aero for six hours and read what was on it that I could keep myself on the plan. It worked.


14 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

That's a great idea.

Rainbow said...

I absolutely love it!!!! You know you are going to start a phenomenon here. Are you going to do the same on Nov. 4th?

Cliff said...

good idea....damn that ego :)...

stronger said...

That's great but I'm still wondering how you took the photo with no hands?

Andy said...

Sweet,

Leave the ego at home, I could take that dose of medicine from time to time, although I might use it when for my "Sprint" triathlon. I need to go all out anyways, and what better way than to chase the person down in front of you.

Yeah, and how in the heck did you take that picture???

Murtha...

Nancy Toby said...

Fortunately ego (in terms of wanting to beat people on the course) isn't one of my big triathlon problems, but I did enjoy passing people on an uphill recently. That doesn't happen to me often!

Yeah, how did you take the photo!?

Comm's said...

I put the camera in my mouth and used my tongue to activate my shutter. ha ha.

Fe-lady said...

What a great idea! I know I get "caught up" in trying to catch or beat someone on a workout...doesn't help if you are trying to stick to a plan, that's for sure! Glad it worked for you! I was just about to ask you how you got the pix, then I read your response above! You COULD also put it on timer, and then you wouldn't have to use your tongue, altho it was probably good exercise for you tongue!

Steven said...

Way to go, Comm! I know I get caught in that trap of trying to not get passed or hanging with them if I do.

That is not how one stays in the proper zones, is it!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Camera in your mouth? Tongue-activated shutter? Yeah, right... you used the timer. Betcha.

Aeros for 6 hours. Ouch. I just took mine off. The day I bonked I wanted like anything to sit up straight to get some good breaths and straighten my back but couldn't b/c my aero elbow-rests cover my handlebar flats. The other day I didn't use them at all and was completely comfortable. Off with the aeros. I'll see if I feel the same after my next long ride.

Nytro said...

that's great, comm. i'm not gonna touch the camera remark with a 10-foot pole. there's too many places to go with that... and i'm nothing if not a dirtbag.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Heh heh... great idea. Only problem could be with the hard to explain tan lines. :D

SRR said...

Heh! I do that too! Except I use PINK permanent marker! It makes me happier! :-)

Bolder said...

don't bonk!