Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Roots

Today I give back to the sport. Well, not just today but starting today. I am the head coach for a nine week running clinic. Its an after school program for grade school kids that is put on by FCA-E. (Fellow Christian Atheletes-Endurance).

The nine week clinic leads up to races ranging from 1 mile, 2k, 5k and 10k. We are training kids and some of their parents. It should be a load of fun. I was part of a similar FCA-E experience with a triathlon clinic early last spring.

So maybe my 2008 racing and training season was a big, fat bust. I started the season last November being a rabbit for a friend in a 109 mile bike race and followed it up a few weeks later as a rabbit in a marathon. Both out of town events and neither one of them ones I really needed to do. Then I also did the tri clinic for two months and now a run clinic for two months.

It is so important for athletes to give back to the sport. Whether it be as a rabbit for a friend, working a shift at a race or teaching kids how to be active. Make it your goal next season to give back, in some capacity.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

That's terrific, Comm's!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

That's awesome Comm! Bobby and I just gave a fired up slide prsentation to the AWANA at church last Wednesday for FCA-E.
One day our boys will be duking it out on the course, giving all the glory to God.
;-)

ShirleyPerly said...

Wonderful! I'm sure the kids will have a blast and it'll rub off on some parents too.

21stCenturyMom said...

What a great thing to do. I couldn't agree more - helping others to race be it coaching or volunteering on the course is a very good thing to do.