Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Medal, no not me

I am the head coach of a running clinic for elementary school kids. We meet a couple times a week. I do this through FCA-E (Fellow Christian Athletes-Endurance). I get a big kick teaching kids how to run and yesterday got great news.

One of the girls I train, took Overall 1st Place Female in a 1 mile run she did over the weekend. She got a great big shiny gold medal. She didn't even know and left before the awards ceremony. One of the moms in my class, (there is almost a dozen who I prepare training for) brought the medal to the class on Tuesday and we had a short award ceremony.

In fact a lot of the kids decided to do the fun run, another coach was there to supervise and I was really surprised at some of the times these kids put up. One kid did noticeably well which led to me discussing with him the ability he has verse the ability he shows at practice. He said he was surprised too, he was just running with a friend.

Some of the moms that competed in the 5k event, did well, one of them took 2nd in her age group. Two moms told me they signed up for their first triathlon because of the triathlon clinic I did for their kids in the spring before Ironman. That was nice to hear.

This is just a great group of fitness enthusiasts.

3 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

That is AWESOME, Comms!

21stCenturyMom said...

How fun to watch people get turned on to sports and to be the one who gave them the idea.

M said...

That's awesome - I always think that if people can jsut get past their fear or laziness about running and triathlon, a whole world can be opened up to them...glad to have you around putting this into action!