Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Passively Impulsive

I have an issue with impulsiveness. I have tried to curb this impulsiveness by engaging my intellect, as small as it may be. However I am usually not talking myself out of anything but only delaying my immediate gratification by making sure the item that I want so badly, is the best product on the market that works for me.

Today (and for the last two weeks) I am thinking about trail shoes.

I am gearing up for a Grand Canyon trip later this year and have been doing a lot of trail running and hiking up steep trails. Currently I have been using a pair of trail running shoes from Nike and they have held up well even under an 80 pound backpack for ten days in Yosemite. They don't make them anymore and I need a pair of shoes.

My gut is to go with a vented shoe rather than a gore-tex liner as 90% of my trail use will be in desert climates, usually hot with little worry about crossing water. But, and their is always a but, I wouldn't mind being prepared for crossing streams or using them in wet rainy climates with a gore tex boot/shoe. I realize that most of what I do in Arizona is dry but if I do travel anywhere else on this planet or their is snow at GC, it would be nice to have some protection. Currently I have a pair of waterproof socks that I carry with me, just in case.

Second, I am thinking of a mid cut boot but I have strong ankles and running on trails would probably be easier with a shoe.

I am not new to hiking shoe or boot purchases. As you can see I will get something, its just a matter of what.

How about some input.

8 comments:

Fumo Santo said...

I used to do a considerable amount of hiking around Flag and Sedona as well as here in the valley, and during that time I've burned through plenty a pair of shoes and boots alike.

I've found that my absolute favorite is a pair of Asics Trail shoes (The GEL-Trail Sensor, I think).

I find that with a mid-cut boot, there tends to be too much tread causing more risk of rolling an ankle (which I've done in the past). Also you bring up a valid point with the breathe factor on the canyon hike. I wouldn't go with anything that wasn't vented. Your feet will thank you later.

At one point, I had the mentality that if I were hiking, I had better wear a hiking boot. Since I’ve discovered trail shoes, that’s all changed for me. And besides, the canyon hike is a trail, and you’re not blazing so you should be fine with a lighter shoe.

I hope that helps!

Glen said...

you will have to help me out also with our trip later this year, i might do it in some nike running shoes. I look forward to the trip it is going to be amazing.

Phoenix said...

How about:

A pair of breathable lightweight trail runners for dry hikes and, if your itenery (sp?) includes some heavier hikes in possibly wet terrain you could have a pair of Gore Tex lightwieght hiking boots?

I swore by trail runners for backpacking (after years of being like you and only getting the sturdy, sh*t kickers for hiking) and loved that shaving a pound off the feet was like five off the pack - but I'm backpacking in my lightweight Gore Tex hiking boots now - you can get boots that are as light as trail runners now and I got really sick of wet feet. I find my feet are not as tired after 8 hours of hiking in these babies - but I wouldn't want them for dry, hot hikes. I think two pairs of shoes are in order. Does that make me an enabler?

Siren said...

My input... you're a total stud muffin for doing the trail running thing. Beyond that - I got nothin : )

Bigun said...

what size boot are ya, Comms - I have some leftover LaSportivas from my prior life as a Rock Climbing Gym owner - they may fit you, new in the box at least....

Bolder said...

who knew Phoenix was so RUGGED!

go vented.

i'm going grocery shopping right now, i'll save you two plastic Safeway grocery bags in case you encounter water in the desert -- you'll have to supply the rubber bands...

William Lobdell said...

please take me to the grand canyon with you.

stronger said...

Regular trail running shoes (Asics are my favorite followed by Nike). You don't need a boot. If you are concerned about water, keep the waterproof socks in your pack. There was one point where we had to cross a little water where some beavers dammed up the trail but it was like two careful steps through the water and it's so hot it dried fast. As we neared the north rim it turned cold and started hailing but there wasn't any snow yet. I run all winter in deep snow in my regular running shoes with stormsocks so snow shouldn't be a big deal...unless those edges get slippery (there are some nice drop offs- not the time to get vertigo) Mostly, make sure you have the right shoe/sock combo.