Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Big Ditch

Of course those that no me know that I don't dream small. And even though I have no races scheduled the rest of this year I am still looking at fun things to do for the next year or two.

For example, I have mentioned a bunch of co-workers are doing this fitness challenge. Well its just a 90 day contest and I don't want them to catch Common Man Syndrome when their done. I am going to throw down the gauntlet that they now need to refocus their goal and we all climb Mt. Rainer next summer as a corporate team. I think I can get it to happen and I can circumnavigate my training contract with Mistress who has forbade climbing up grades steeper than a scramble.

In the meantime I am trying to get a group together from my training partners to do a rim to rim or rim to rim to rim of the Grand Canyon this October/November. One way is 24 miles over about 8 hours and round trip along a different route is 45 miles taking closer to 17 hours if we went straight through.

If we do just one way we would stay at the North rim and take the 5.5 hour shuttle back the next morning. Or we stay the night and hike back the next day for 6 hours. Or like I said, we make it a very long out and back.

Doing a rim to rim is one of the most sacred hiking routes of all time; up there with a trip up Mt. Rainer or Mt. Whitney or hiking to Mt. Everest's base camp or doing a long hike on the Pacific Coast Trail or Appalachian Trail.

I smell fun.

9 comments:

Joy | Love | Chaos said...

Great idea! You should check out Catra's site (trailgirl.blogspot I think) -- she's attempting a record hike of the entire pacific coastal trail. I think her goal is to come in under 79 days? Anyway, she updates her blog each day and is early in her travels. Definitely an interesting read!

stronger said...

I did the rim-to-rim in the fall of 2000. I'd join you in a heart beat this fall!!

Bigun said...

Good stuff Comm - whichever way you go, make sure you stop from time to time to 'smell the roses'...

Wendy said...

I need to go back out your way and just see the Grand Canyon! Rim to rim sounds absolutely awesome.

Papa Tweet said...

If you do a rim to rim, and need extra people, and don't mind my company, I'd love to join you. I've been wanting to do that for years. You might want to check with Fe lady. She does a rim to rim every year. She might have some good suggestions. Good luck on the Ranier planning. I wish my company did stuff like that. Take care Comms

Papa Tweet said...

If you do a rim to rim, and need extra people, and don't mind my company, I'd love to join you. I've been wanting to do that for years. You might want to check with Fe lady. She does a rim to rim every year. She might have some good suggestions. Good luck on the Ranier planning. I wish my company did stuff like that. Take care Comms

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I have a friend who keeps talking about doing an RtoR, or even R to R to R. I'm intrigued. You'll have to tell me how it goes.

Jen_runs said...

I just got back from Nepal where I trekked to (amongst other places) Base Camp. It was F.U.N! I'm sure the rim to rim will be the same. One day!

Di said...

That sounds like a truly great trip!! what fun it would be!!!