Thursday, June 14, 2007

Lets define something slow

I have had the opportunity to catch up with most of my missed reading from my bloglines and if you have a blog I read and haven't left a message lately, I'm 'On The Way' (another military term Bolder-say it with gusto). Where I was down 900 posts I am now only down...475. Okay I guess I haven't gotten as far as I thought. But it seems like it. Boy you've all been busy.

Its been a blast reading all your race reports and long training for upcoming races. I have read a trend though of bloggers bemoaning their personal times as slow. Then I read those times and I realize those times are my times or faster. Wendy even wrote to me that doing her double-breasted-decaf-half caff-back stroke at 2 minutes per hundred was "pig slow". And that was "on 2:00" which means she was finishing her 100 and resting for a few seconds before going again.

Uhmm...this is uncomfortable. 2 minutes per 100 is a few seconds faster than my Ironman pace which is vigorous freestyle or as I call it, "The Keep Going Or You'll Drown Stroke".

Now I don't mind being called a pig. I am a pig. I am a knuckle dragger, puke after a hard run, more comfortable sweaty than clean, straight talker. But I am not slow. I once took second in a Clydesdale division, to quote Ralphies Dad from A Christmas Story, "Its a major award."

Others haltingly confess their slow running speed of 10:30 miles. Crap. Really. Thats slow. I have a 9 minute pace but try to run 10:00 to 10:30 when I do my LSD runs. I could only dream of the day I run an Ironman course at 10:30 miles. You realize that's a 4.5 hour marathon? I could finish an Ironman under 12 hours with that run pace.

So let me tell you my personal parameters of slow.

The cut off for an Ironman swim is 2hrs 20min. That equals 3'17" per 100 yards. If you're slower than that you get pulled from the race.

The cut off for an Ironman bike is 5:15pm, if you concede a middle of the pack swim time including T1 is roughly one hour forty-five minutes that means approximately 8.5 hours on the bike. That by the way is an average of 13.17 mph. You would then have 15 minutes to get out of T2 before the cut off.

That means a "slow" person has 6.5 hours, or from 5:30pm to Midnight to complete the marathon. That a 14:53 per mile pace. Truth be told my training partner John who is a capable swimmer and cyclist, walked the entire IMAZ course in 2006 at a average pace of 17 minutes per mile and still finished with twenty minutes to spare.

So in my book, you're slow if swim 100 yards in 3:18, bike slower than an average 13 mph, and run a mile in more than 15 minutes. Other than that and your just great.

Believe me, I know, its hard to celebrate personal success when compared to the media perception of what a triathlete is. I have been clocked almost twice as slow as the pro's at one time or another. At Ironman Florida I came out of the water with Heather Fuhr. Of course she was done with her two loops and I still had one left. Even though I had no business doing Ironman Arizona this year with as sick as I was, I did the blustery bike course in (off the top of my head) 8hrs. 15min. Norman Stadler did Kona in half that. I consider myself a capable runner and yet my Florida pace was 12 minute miles. Most pro's are half that pace.

The point is, do not ever, I mean ever, be ashamed of your speed in this sport. Proper humility or self deprecation is fine, but be excited and celebrate the completion of a hard workout or hard race course. For example, do not be ashamed to tell a co-worker that you finished a marathon in 6 hours; they have either never done one before so their criticism in invalid or if they have done one before they are most likely asking so they can give you a personal anecdote or give a specific congratulation.

There is no shame in your speed or your time. There is only glory in the completion.

25 comments:

LBTEPA said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!
I am going to encourage several dear, self-critical friends to it.
Thanks Comm

Wendy said...

Good perspective, Comm's!

The world record holder of no less than 6 events in my age group swims in this city and "against" me. I watch in wonder, and still am thrilled with my achievements this past season.

I think I feel a post brewing ...

Brent Buckner said...

I try to remember to qualify comments in conversation with something like "for me".

As in, my Berlin marathon time was 3:36 and change, which was good (for me). My Florida 70.3 2007 time was 6:24 and change, which was somewhat slow (for me).

Rainbow said...

I am so happy you put this out there.

I agree, but I agree with being someone 100% guilty of doing a "Wendy". (I do not know Wendy and intend no disrespect or rudeness.) It's all relative isn't it?

I constantly read about people being slow, and my times (swim almost always) are incredibly slower.

I qualify a lot in life.

Jenny Davidson said...

Yes, very nice post, and quite right too; it is too awful to reproach ourselves for being slow when we really tried hard and did our very best (sometimes in adverse circumstances), and more particularly it is not very polite to reproach ourselves for slowness when our 'slow' might really be someone else's beyond-wildest-dreams fast! Even if we are actually rather slow in the grand scheme of things...

Spokane Al said...

Thank you for putting things in perspective. With a serious leg injury I wake up each morning wondering if I should even start IM CDA. I still don't know at this point but you have given me some points to chew on.

Lance Notstrong said...

Preach on Comm!!! And continue to quote Ralphie's dad....I love it!!!

21stCenturyMom said...

That was an excellent post and I am guilty a 1000 times over of saying I'm slow. But when it comes to the bike - I qualify. Time to get to work!

Phoenix said...

Love this post!!! You're so right - who are you slow compared to, the pro or the dude sitting on his couch with the ding dongs? Besides, while I agree that humility is a very important aspect of this sport, putting derogatory labels on yourself only hurts you in the long run.

Amen, preacha, Comm! Can I get a witness?

(PS - when I swim 100 in 2 min, I'm bookin' it!)

Andra Sue said...

Kudos on a great post! Proper perspective indeed, and something of which we all need to be reminded. Especially in the midst of race season. Thanks.

Tony said...

Comm, Great post.

I am guilty of doing it. A lot. It is how I find humor in this sport. I use my lack of speed as encouragement. I tell myself that I am slow, but not as slow as I was last week. And next week I will have a faster version of slow then this weeks. I find this gives my a large window of opportunity to improve and better myself and times.

One of the things I love about this sport is I don't have to bother worrying about the speed of the other triathletes, I just need to keep moving forward doing the best I can do.

The Big Cheese said...

"this" post, I meant to write.

The Big Cheese said...

Com, thanks for his post.

Jeremy said...

Comm, you really hit the nail on the head here. Thanks for this post.

drbubba said...

Amen! Great post.

Flo said...

Wow, you really struck a nerve Comm.
Excellent post. I try never to compare myself to anyone but me. When I see other peoples times I do think I'm slow, but then I remember where I came from and I'm not slow at all. There was a point where I couldn't walk a mile without resting. So running a 12 minute mile is downright speedy :) Also, where the mind goes the body will follow. Keep saying your slow and you will be.

Siren said...

Amen.

I used to get really stressed out about my times because they're so absurdly far behind so many other triathletes. I finally got past that and am pretty good about reminding myself that I'm doing fantastic for me, but every once in a while it's good to hear the sentiments from someone other than the voices in my head : )

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

True, so very true. I catch myself in the same trap. It's nice to have a reminder as well as a definition of slow.

William Lobdell said...

I'M A EFFING SPEED DEMON!!!

Thanks!

Bigun said...

Not fast or slow - a plodder - could be fast or could be slow.

TxTriSkatemom said...

Fabulous post, sir. Thank you. I keep reminding myself (and I've had a *few* more opportunities to do so in the past two weeks) that several years ago I couldn't run 3 miles at a stretch, and anything I can do now is fast enough. For now -- gotta have something to work toward!

Athena Misty, aka "GeekGirl" said...

Man, I would LOVE to be "pig slow" in the swim, if that's a 2:00/100 pace! It's all relative, as you've said. For instance, I noticed that now as I approach the back of the middle of the pack (instead of being DFL) I actually seem to get passed by more people than I used to (??)

Laurie said...

Just catching up on blog reading myself...

Like everyone else, I loved this post. Your writing really strikes me sometimes. Speed is all relative. It's funny how we are quick to say we are slow but you almost never hear someone say they are fast! Though I'd rather not read someone bragging :)

The negative thoughts of saying 'I'm slow' are not a good thing. How can you make progress if you are seeing the glass as half empty? Being a realist is the important part.

Jessi said...

Wow, great post. Helps me keep it all in perspective.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

dear comms...

dear, dear comms...

I love you, mang.

dpr