Tuesday, April 20, 2010

New Shiny Thing: RailRider's Eco-Mesh shirt.

I started following Adventure Races like Raid Gauloise and its more successful sequel Eco-Challenge when they began showing in the very early 1990s.  I still follow Adventure Races quite closely.  RailRider's Eco-Mesh shirt was born from the need to provide adequate clothing for these multi-discipline athletes. This shirt continues to have a strong niche with ultra  athletes at events like Badwater 135 and Marathon de Sable  as well as worn by thru hikers on American trails. 

I don't have Adventure Racing on my short list, but I do share a love for training like one.  I also appreciate gear and clothing that has multiple uses. My final impetus to finally buy one was my desire to have a shirt that better dissipated my body heat, thus staving off overheating, dehydration and heat injury. Hey anything that helps me in that department is good.

I bought the shirt in white and was shocked at how brilliant and blinding white the top is.  I have zero luck keeping white clothes stain free but I surmise my main problem will be trail grime and not pasta sauce. Though I think I could pull this shirt off in a lot of nice eateries.

I purchased the shirt from the manufactures website. The shipping and handling were more expensive than the few other sites that sold the garment, even at lower prices, but I chose a decade of drooling on their website as a reason to go to the source.  My loyalty did not disappoint, I received the shirt in two days with their cheapest shipping rate. Much earlier than anticipated. Which gave me an opportunity to try it on the next day for a seven mile recovery run in the Superstition Mountain range. 


Weighing about the same as a short sleeve cotton shirt, this long sleeve 2-ply nylon top dries infinitely faster. The material up the side and down to the cuff is two inch wide mesh that offers terrific ventilation. There is also a thick ribbon along the upper back covered by a yoke of material. The cut is quite generous, more like wearing a pajama top than a tee shirt. It is incredibly breathable. It also has a SPF 30 rating.

The Eco-Mesh shirt has elastic cuffs that are not so tight that you can't hike the sleeves up to the elbow and they stay there. The elastic will also keep out flies, mosquitoes and ticks if need be.  To keep weight down there is no collar and the v-neck can be closed by a Velcro tab. Inside the shirt is a fastener to keep the tab secure when the collar is left open.

I wore the shirt with sleeves up and sleeves down. Each was comfortable and the elastic kept the sleeve from sliding down my forearm. The cut and venting allows air to circulate very well and I don't believe I was sweating any more than I would with a sleeveless technical shirt. The benefit of the shirt here is that without having to apply sunscreen to my  bare skin, it breathes easier and evaporates sweat more efficiently.

I also wore a Camelbak MULE and when I was done the shirt back was quite sweaty. I was surprised that it dried so fast, just a few minutes after getting in my vehicle to drive home.  I was conscious of this fact mostly from the thousands of times I have finished a workout, got in my vehicle and my back has remained wet and clammy till I got home a half hour later.

This is not an item I will be wearing in regular rotation for running on the streets but I see a long future in casual summer wear and I hope it becomes my permanent trail top for hiking and desert runs.  I have had the same make/model hiking shirt for almost ten years and the only way it will be knocked from its pole position in my closet is by the Eco-Mesh continuing to impress me with its quick drying, ventilation ability. 

After ten years of reading fan mail from satisfied customers and my results after a hot, desert run, I predict a changing of the guard in the very near future.

No comments: