Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I got a real race this weekend

I realized that today I am going to pick up my race packet /swag bag for the Pat Tillman run this weekend. I am doing an honest to God race. One that I am seriously going to race the clock on. Like, pulling the safety tabs off the hand grenade and throwing myself through this course. A red lining heart rate, dry spit rope hanging off my lip, jaw tightening attack of the course.

The course is a symbolic distance of 4.2 miles and finishes on the 42 yard line of ASU's SunDevil Stadium. The course is essentially a clockwise route around Tempe Town lake along path's I have run, without exaggeration, over a thousand miles on.  I  have trained for this race by running out of my office and turning left at the light. I am that close.  

Looking at last years results, my AG had 400 runners.  If I hit the time I think I am capable of with a great race I could finish in the top 40 of last years 400 people. Even with moderate training paces I am running in the top 100.

Mistress supports my strategy in this race because it is so short. I will be over the finish line before my liver even realizes my kidney might be in trouble. Don't worry, I am not going off the deep end and signing up for races left and right. In fact, I don't think I'm signed up for anything else this year. Yet.  However I am planning for some epic, and I mean mind blowing training sessions in May. 

I am not going to just exist. i am going to live. 

HISTORY OF PAT'S RUN
Pat Tillman played football for Arizona State University. His number was 42. He was drafted into the NFL and played his last season with the Arizona Cardinals. After September 11,  2001, he turned down a $3.6 million NFL contract and enlisted in the US Army with a fast track to Ranger school, which he completed. While deployed to Afghanistan he was tragically killed by friendly fire. The race is a fundraiser for a foundation in his name.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have fun, and be careful out there!