Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cinched Tight

I think I am pretty normal when I say that, as a Dude, I don't buy new clothes very often. When I do, I buy my 'play clothes' at REI, my 'work clothes' at Sports Authority and my workout clothes through my club sponsors. Though its been mentioned here and there, I have lost 40 lbs. since last October. And I haven't bought any new clothes. Thus everything sort of hangs off me, from work shorts to running shirts. Heck I think I even went down half a shoe size.

This morning I walked into a store that I hadn't been too in several months, for a cup of coffee. The manager, a man I encouraged and mentored into triathlon a few years ago, warmly smiled at seeing my once familiar face. And then his gaze dropped to my waistline that has shrunk by five inches and my overall  much slimmer silhouette and his jaw dropped. He probably stared at me for five seconds, agog. 

When I walked up to pay, he gave me such high praise and adoration in front of customers that I was humbled and could only respond the truth, I got cleared for training from my injury (which he knew about) and been working hard. He asked if I had any races coming up and I mentioned Pat's Run and also my hopeful first of two Big Ass Idea Adventures. He laughed and said it was indeed a crazy plan. He then said he was channel surfing last week and saw a segment on  some insane event and he thought of me. What he named is incredibly enough what I hope to be my second Big Ass Idea Adventure. All I could do was laugh, that I am so transparent and have this aura of craziness about me.

I got kind of sheepish walking out, at such lavish praise and as I put my head down I realized I really do look thinner and definitely need some new work shorts. All my work pants, are two waist sizes big and cinched tight with a belt I've been notching my own holes in. The tail of the belt reaches well around my waist and sticks straight out past a belt loop. Due to the extra material, the fly button either hangs down under the belt or I pull it up over the belt. When I looked down, it was pulled over the belt but was also a good inch over it. 

I vowed to at least buy a new belt this week and then figure out a way to try on some new clothes this weekend. I know, poor baby. 

I am not going to exist. I am going to live.

No comments: