Monday, February 2, 2009

Diminshed?

I am drawn to stories of survival. I am in awe of almost all. of it Perhaps because I have survived so much myself. The author in many of these stories speak about how their perspective changed afterward in regard to what they were so passionate about before; they spend more time with their family, they found God, their behavior changed.

I will raise my hand say, "That ain't me." Since I have been able to train again, I have found that my drive to compete is still just as strong. My life is still as involved in the sport. of endurance. I am unchanged. Perhaps that is an issue that will need to be addressed before I can race again.

I have been pushed to the edge of sanity and reality and mortality more times than I can count. I am not invincible or protected, maybe a bit lucky. I believe that all these have given me an indomitable spirit that simple doesn't care what it overcomes, it simply....it simply craves.

I crave stress and struggle, challenge and hope. I have a need to hit goals that I create for myself. To not do accomplish such gives me great pain. There are so few people I know that will suffer more than I in the pursuit of success. I wish I had the God given genetics to be a star in my sport but alas I was a middle-of-the-packer now not even participant.

Life gives you the same amount of time to be good or be great. If you don't have balance then you have regrets. I put as much effort in my training as my work, my family, my friends and myself. I pour myself into it all, creating impact. Its the same before and after a life changing event.

There's treasure everywhere.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Yes balance, balance is key isn't it?