Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Its a crazy ride, hold on

It could have been dramatic to say this week could kill me, but c'mon, this is me. I've had a lot of weeks where I could say that. And right now, its just not funny.

All kidding aside, Monday was a very tough day for me. More specifically the time between 11 a.m. and noon. Not only was the market tanking but my partners and I were in the middle of a robust meeting regarding changes to our manager compensation plans, (it was not to pay them less, I can tell you that). On the way to lunch, I grabbed my phone to see that I had missed several calls and frantic text messages. That was how I found out a very close uncle died in his sleep. I had an effing email in my mailbox from him over the weekend.

Luckily my dad was already driving to California to see family and can help the family out with the remaining details. The rest of us will be flying out when needed for the funeral. I am not unfamiliar with death or dealing with mortality so I am just more or less somber right now. Contemplative of a man that I looked up to and despite the usual family foibles admired. He was a Vietnam veteran, small business owner, computer programmer in the late 70's and early 80's when that was unheard of.

My family, including Mistress and almost all my oldest friends call me"CJ", the last initial standing for his name, a testimony of my fathers love for the man when I was born.

It sort of throws a somber mood over today when Mistress, Mo and myself find out the sex of the baby.

This is not a day to end with my usual "Have Fun". This is very much a Charlie Mike, Continue the Mission, day. Continue living and loving and laughing as best you can because you never know when your time will come. The market will go down some more and it will most certainly go up. Credit ratings will improve and profit will come back to our lives.

Sometimes days just suck.

10 comments:

Mommymeepa said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Uncle. It is never easy to lose someone. I will be praying for you, Mistress, and Mo.

I hope that you can still enjoy finding out the sex of the baby. I've noticed in life when someone I loved passed on there was always someone either finding out they were pregnant or finding out something about their pregnancy. It's a time of sadness, but also a time for rejoicing and your Uncle would want you to enjoy this day.

My Mom died on Christmas moring almost 12 years ago and not long after I was pregnant with my daugher. I named her after my Mom.

You will all be in my prayers today.
Take care my friend.

Wendy said...

Deepest condolences, Comm's.

Jenny Davidson said...

Condolences...

Chris said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, Comm. My condolences to you and your family.

Flatman said...

Sorry about your uncle...my prayers are with your family.

Can't wait to hear the details on the little one.

Steven said...

Sorry to read about your uncle, Commodore.

Condolences to you and your family.

21stCenturyMom said...

So sorry to hear about your Uncle. It sounds like he was not very old and got robbed and it does suck. So wrong and so sad.

stronger said...

I recall while living in Hawaii, that funerals were all day celebrations- everyone brings an envelope and the rest of the day is a feasting and gathering and celebrating the life of their friend/loved one.

Aloha na Hale o 'Oukou i Makamaka 'Ole

M said...

Aw man. I am sorry to hear that. I will be keeping you in my thoughts over these next few days.

Be safe.

dpc said...

Comm,

Just this past week I learned of the death of a friend I had known since the 4th grade. Since high school, we had lost touch. I learned of his death in the local obituaries. Only 47 years old. Leukemia. Lost his sister to an accident some years back. Both kids survived by the parents. Not the way it is suppose to be. News of his death really bummed me out. All this to say...on a certain level, I undertand. I'm sorry for your loss. dc