Friday, September 12, 2008

An Honest To God Tri Training Post

The weather has taken a turn for the mild the last few days so I decided to ride to work on Thursday. I have not ridden outside since Ironman in April. As I said my goodbyes to Mistress and Mo, I promised to call as soon as I made it to the office, about 16 miles and one hour away. There is a lot of lights on this route and along with keeping my HR under 140 bpm, I figured this could be a leisurely ride.

It was amazing. I had forgotten the freedom and thrill of riding in the morning. I missed it like an old friend. Even the potholes and standing water from the previous nights rain brought a nice change of pace. Everything went fine on the way in, the weather helping me stay in my safe zone for heart rate. I felt like a triathlete again. Throughout the day I hydrated and watched my output, looking for any signs of my body shutting down and there wasn't any.

I also picked Thursday because of Mo's football practice which is halfway between work and home. On the way there, I realized my sit muscles had lost their strength in my recovery and those familiar pains from balancing on a tiny, if gelled sit, started coming back to me. Thankfully, Mother Nature stepped in and the thought of riding in a 40 mile per dust storm triggered a call to Mistress, "Wait at work. I'll be right there. We will drive together to practice."

To beat the wind, I had to push my bike. My HR climbed to over 150 and even once a 160. I was hoping that I would not suddenly seize up like a motor on the side of the road. Not to worry I arrived safely and Mistress had a bottle of sparkling water waiting for me. That's what passes for Champagne for me know.

Even if my day ended at just over 27 miles in two sessions, I'll take it. Its a start. Hopefully one that maintains momentum. You just never know. In a year or two, I may just be racing again. In the meantime, its a little victory for the day.

Have Fun


7 comments:

J~Mom said...

Sounds really nice Comm!! That is good mileage too!

21stCenturyMom said...

Contrary to popular belief it really can be all about the bike. Nothing feels as free and fun and child like. Glad you got to enjoy yours.

M said...

YAY! What a nice ride! Glad to hear it went well, and you are feeling good!

Fe-lady said...

Yeah, the weather has been nice, hasn't it?
Glad you are enjoying it!

Steve Stenzel said...

Congrats on the ride! Yay!!

Jen_runs said...

Yah! Wonderful to hear about your ride. Very pleased to hear that it went well!

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear you got out for a ride!