Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A new frontier

For the last year Mistress and I have been trying to get Mighty Mo to learn how to pedal a bike. He never took to trikes or big wheels. When we presented him with opportunity's to ride bigger bikes with training wheels at toy stores he always complained that it was too hard and showed disinterest after a few moments. He would always remark how cool the bikes his size looked, just never wanted to take the next big step.

Over the weekend I had to go to a bike shop to get some work done on a cleat. The screws need to be torqued out. Mo took an interest in the bikes and actually pedaled around the store on one of the built girl frames. When we went to Walmart next, I told him he could look at the bikes and sure enough he found a bike he liked to look at. Then he liked to ride it. Then he liked daddy to buy it.

I'm a sucker for my son. As we walked out of the store, he proudly pushed his new 'speedbike' with a ear to ear grin. He got quite the remarks about how cool it looked and how proud he looked.

Mo for his part took to riding his training wheeled new bike like a duck to water. Every day he rides down to the park to do laps around the playground equipment. Each lap is about 200 yards. I jog beside him giving pointers and grabbing him if he gets to wobbly or off kilter. He has a perfect pace for my HR so I get in about 30 minutes of running each night and don't feel like a dweeb for my pace. At least my body's not dying at that pace. We take breaks and kung fu fight in the sand. Play Star Wars on the equipment. Then when we run out of water we head back home.

13 comments:

Flatman said...

That is one sweet ride! We are on the market for a new bike for my son... :)

He has been riding without training wheels this summer...(about time!!!)

Brent Buckner said...

Much more cool-looking than my bike!

A bit amusing that Mo was so keen on the indoor stationary bike, but not the road bike. Given the amount of time I spend on the trainer versus the road, I suppose I relate.

dpc said...

That's great, Comm! Mo has one sweet rig there, and a pretty cool dad! dc

J~Mom said...

How cool is that bike! I don't think there is anything better then spending time together riding.

momo said...

that is one fancy bike he's got there. those wheels look pretty darn fast!

way to go, mo!

J-Wim said...

THat is the coolest bike ever made. Do they make them for adults??

stronger said...

I bet if BigJ knew bikes came like Mo's bike, his new cervelo would have had the fancier exterior! Glad Mo is riding

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Did those race wheels come with it or did you pony up the extra $$?
That is a sweet bike, Mo!

Cliff said...

See your son with his bike reminded me when my dad gave me my first bike. That's where it all started..just riding around and enjoying life :)

May u have more bonding time with ur son during these activities.

Wendy said...

That's one impressive bike!!

And I'm glad you and MO are having some quality (and target heart rate) training together!

Duane said...

Nice ride!

The Big Cheese said...

Man, kids today get all the cool stuff.

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

That is one sweeeeeeet ride! Go Mo!!!