Monday, December 31, 2007

Unwritten

I teased a holiday M-Dot for New Years and been too busy to get it done. My bad. Of course we all fall guilty of looking back and looking ahead and thinking of all the things done, undone or left unsaid.

When I dwell on such things I often find myself going to places of comfort. I like to go to Barnes and Noble. I often find myself in there. One of the things I like as much as the books and the coffee is the journals and sketchbooks. I don't know what it is about journals but there is something about buying a brand new one that is full of so much hope. Before I started CMS, long before and still today, I have detailed daily journals of my thoughts and dealings. It probably started with the amnesia and having to write everything down and then in the infantry when all good soldiers have pencil and paper.

When I see journals (notebooks, et al.) I consider all the things that will fill it. A marker of my past perhaps for a future autobiography. A recording of historical reckoning for generations of Commodore to come, full of newspaper clippings and photographs, thoughts on current affairs long forgotten. Affirmations. Prayers. Emotions and beseeches of my deepest mind too baring for this blog. Perhaps just something to describe workouts, lists of errands, jots for the next big idea. In any regard I see the potential in them to write in ways that while not as socially fulfilling as this blog, are just as rewarding.

I think my earlier post about finding a suitable new way to track my workouts in 2008 has stemmed from my longing for a new journal. I have lots of half written notebooks, journals, whatever, on my shelf but still I am drawn to a new beginning. The first touches of a blank slate. The idea of filling every page by my hand alone. The framing and setting of every page in a way that predates html and even type setting. I think longingly of monks in the middle ages who not only copied every word of the bible by hand but created such magnificent pictures and colors around the page.

So I bought a simple journal and placed it inside a distressed leather cover that has housed like sized plain journals for years. It fit perfectly. What will go in it ultimately is up to the future.

Happy New Year...

7 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I know you will fill that journal with love, meaning, accomplishment, humor, and reflection.
Happy New YEar friend!!!!

Flabbyironman said...

Happy new year Commodore. Thanks for being a part of my life.

tri-mama said...

Happy New Year! See you next week

Ellie Hamilton said...

Thought-provoking and inspiring, Comm. Happy New Year!

Duane said...

Happy New Year!

Cliff said...

Commondore,

Happy new year..may the journal be filled with many great memories :)

Bolder said...

happy new year!