Saturday, December 8, 2007

That was that

To follow up on our first 'date' in many months, Mistress and I had a good night. We went to the mall where we did not eat at some giant chain restaurant but a great Mexican joint. Hit some stores and had some good conversations.

I have mentioned before that some tissue damage I got at my bike race last month has lingered around the back of my right knee. During a tough swim practice with lots of kick drills that day, it really tired the area out so we didn't wander aimlessly for hours, in fact I sat when i could.

The same night a storm came to the valley bringing lots of rain and wind and cold weather. Now look...Phoenix gets rain only a dozen days a year. Maybe only two or three that rain all night and into the morning, which is what happened this weekend. It usually a no-brainer to skip workouts on those wet mornings or go later when the roads are dry.

But I had a 60 miler on the calendar and only the morning to do it. Things went well for a while but while managing a wet turn the bike slipped out almost dumping me completely. I didn't fall but the suddenness of the correction wrenched my leg and stretched out that already deconditioned set of muscles behind my right knee.

So I rode in the cold, and the wet and my leg hurt. (I know...BIIIIIIGGGG whah, whah, whah from those north of Texas.) And my projected speed plummeted. But riding by myself allowed me to stop a few times to rub out my leg and go at my own pace.

Since getting home its been a managed care approach based on RICE. A little concerned about a ten miler run as my next training session. But it's been nice to just get some couch time after a long week.


Merry Christmas!!

7 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

21stCenturyMom said...

Sorry you hurt your leg. Next time remember that cold and rain are the reason for trainers. Of course you probably don't have due to the normally nice weather.

I'm ready to profer the Christmas greetings yet. I need to get busy!

Bigun said...

way to get it done, comms!

Nancy Toby said...

So maybe if you don't do the "no-brainer" skipping the rides on the days it rains, you'll have better bike-handling skills on wet pavement.

Good luck with a speedy recovery!

Iron Pol said...

We don't have to worry about decisions like that, around here. There are no "tough calls" in December in Wisconsin. You either ride on the trainer, or you're a lunatic.

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Just wondering.. have you figured out what is up with the pain behind your knee? I too have been having that problem. I thought it was just my road bike, saddle issue...but I stopped riding it, and after riding my tri bike for the first time in months, I got the same pain. Right behind my left knee, on the outside, lower area... Any thoughts?

tarheeltri said...

Couch time is nice. Get healthy, Comm.