Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Ironman Florida-Race Morning

My room was 601. You can surmise that it was the first room from the elevators. Hotels in PCB are set up so that the doors are all in open breeze-ways to pressurize the buildings from hurricanes. Think a big wind tunnel. All night long for several nights I heard the howl of the wind blowing through the openings of the hotel around the elevator area. It would sneak through my door jamb and make the bathroom cold.

My entire goal the afternoon before the race was to stay off my feet. Interesting exercise concept. Who would have thought my last act of training for an ironman would be to see how long I could stay on a couch? It was all in Gods hands now and no fretting on my part would change the outcome the following day. I was blessed enough to get several phone calls from friends and family and when asked I felt, I could only answer, "At peace with everything."

I feel asleep around 9 pm and woke up at 1:30 a.m. I grabbed a banana and used the bathroom then just laid there listening to the wind and the snoring of the Mighty Mo, my three year old muse.

We were all told to not expect our special needs bags back but as I looked out the window down into the pool I saw the wind ripples across the water. I watched the pam fronds pushed this way and that high up in their trees. I felt that the marathon would be a very cold endeavor, so I packed my expensive running tights in the run special needs bag and prayed it was a smart idea or I would get them back.

You quickly realize just how much money you throw away at these races in clothing or nutrition choices.

A bunch of us bloggers decided to meet at special needs drop off at 5:10 a.m. When the elevator door opened Bolder and Roman were in it. We walked a 150 yards down to the spot and immediately found Tri-Daddy, Kahuna, Robo-Stu, Tri-Mama and Taconite Man who videotaped the week constantly.

We all tried did our last minute transition things and tried to meet up on the beach but it was not to be. Tri-Daddy and I spent the morning together just like we had spent as much time a possible together during the previous days. I tried to find Mistress and Mo at 6:30 a.m. but I couldn't in the crowd. It was hard not being able to say one final word of appreciation to them. Tri-Daddy's wife and daugther filled in nicely giving me a hug words of encouragement. He and I finally parted five minutes before the race started.

Its hard not to be affected by a 2,000+ mass swim start. The energy. The music. Mike Rielly in the background. I was alone but not afraid. In the sand starting with my family and going through all the bloggers that stood somewhere on the beach with me and at their computers, I said a specific thank you prayer and drew a cross in the sand with my toe.

Then the cannon went off...

6 comments:

Tri-Angle said...

I like the cross in the sand Comm, kind of the double meaning.....the cross in the sand, served as your line in the sand, with priorities in order. Way to go IRONMAN, way to GO.

Flatman said...

What an awesome beginning...I have chills. And even though I know how this story ends, I can't wait to read it!

Pixie said...

CHILLS!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to hear the whole story. You really have a way with words. :)

stronger said...

I like the new sidebar statement!

Nytro said...

awesome start, comm.

mipper said...

beautiful. i have chills.