Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ironman Arizona November 2008

There is no doubt that the Ironman here in Tempe, Arizona next week is going to be big. Having done this race twice and can see the course from my business parking spot, I have some first hand experience on what to see and do.

First, if you have people spectating the course the swim start is not to be missed. The water start is under a bridge and heading into the sunrise. It is perhaps the most spiritual experience I have had in sports. I am blessed to have witnessed it from the spectator and the participant point of view.

For those looking for restaurants in the area there is tremendous opportunity. Directly across the street from the finish chute is Monty's a 100 year old restaurant with an adequate bar and outside seating. Foods pretty good too. Within a few minutes walk on Mill Avenue is a half dozen excellent pizza, greek, chinese joings, a Starbucks, Hooters, local brewery and other cuisines. There is no going hungry or suffering expo sandwiches at this event.

Local wifi is getting better, so it may be possible to fire up a laptop at the expo itself. If not a hotel on the SW corner of Rio Salado and Priest, a main corner of the run course, a mile west of the expo has free wifi and sure that plenty locations will offer low cost rates along Mill Ave.

I think there is plenty to do at the expo location and along Mill Avenue, but having a cruiser or mountain bike can greatly increase your exposure to the course. If a spectator can rent or borrow a bike they can get to some much better spectating locations without having to walk 30 minutes around the lake.

For those renting cars, I would recommend driving to the corner of McDowell Road and Country Club/Beeline Hwy/ Hwy 87 (all the same name). This the start of the beeline out and back. This is the approximate middle of the course and can see triathletes about once per hour. There isplenty of parking, shade, a grocery store with restroom and porta potties for athletes. Not many people spectate here so the atmosphere is happy and loose.

For everyone coming to town, a trip to TRIBE multisport is a must (Use Google Maps with Sattelite view and type in 'tribe multisport'). It is about 3 miles up Scottsdale road from Tempe Town Lake. Cross McDowell road heading north on Scottsdale and take first left down a side street (30 yards from intersection) into the parking lot. Drop my name.

If anyone has any specific question drop me a line. If I can't give an answer off the top of my head I will research it for you.

7 comments:

Chris said...

I tell you what, Comm. If I were in Tempe, I'd be sure to visit:

http://www.in-n-out.com/location_details.asp?id=195

Especially if I didn't have access to one living in the southwest. :)

Battman said...

Hi Comm,

I salute you for all that you're overcoming/enduring lately; you have a tough spirit. I'll be racing IMAZ next week. One question I have is what is the uphill section of the ride loop like, and how does it compare to the downhill?

Battman

Comm's said...

Well Chris, In&Out Burger is actually on the IMAZ run course. Well, across the street from the route.

Battman- The uphill your speaking of is the Beeline. Roughly a 12 mile out and then obviously 12 mile back. But about the out, or up.

From the turn onto the Beeline until the stop light a few miles up, its fairly flat with little change needed. The more you move up the hill the steeper it gets but never more than say 3-3.5% grade. The last two miles are the steepest. But remember for the most part this hill is a false flat.

Which also brings up the problem. People do not respect the hill the first time up and hammer it. By the third loop the false flat comes back to pay back. So take it easy the first time up.

Coming down can be a fast decent if the wind is in your favor. i have had it blowing hard both ways this time of year.

the special needs bags are on the way down by the stop light mentioned earlier. You hit that on the second time down.

If you want more specifics, happy to provide BTW, give me your email as you came across as non-reply.

Duane said...

Comm, e-mail me your phone numbers! I will be getting in Friday night and want to see you Saturday if possible and race day of course! dkn747@yahoo.com Peace!

Mommymeepa said...

Hey Comm,

Be looking for my friend, Michael Hennessy (www.ironmanforkids.com). He runs in a cowboy hat and this will be his 15th Ironman Distance race this year. This should be the race that breaks the Guiness World Record of 14 in a year. He is doing it to raise awareness for kids with Trisomy 13 and 18. Like I said he wears a cowboy hat for the run portion and he two steps his way to the finish line. He is from Texas and these have become his trademarks. I have joined Team Trisomy and will be doing all my future events in the name of these children and their families. I will also be wearing a cowboy hat, but I'm not sure how to two step yet.

Have fun out there and if you see him give him a shout out from me as I would love to be there to cheer him on.

Take care,
Melissa

momo said...

comm!! i got chills reading the part about the swim start. i've spectated the start and come sunday, i'll get the chance to compete. i'll be thinking about your words then, you can be sure. big hugs!

M said...

comm- just reading this brought teats to my eyes for some reason - maybe it was the memories of the thick excitement that permeated the air around TTL back in April.

Man, what an experience - sorry we won't be out there with you guys this time around!