Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Accepting Tolerance

I think the older I get the more I consider my tolerance to something over the acceptance of it. I tolerate a lot (a lot) of physical pain, I don't accept it, as that would I think make me give in to it and dilute my life. I tolerate losing, I don't accept defeat. I think its hogwash that someone should lose to learn a lesson. If a person or team loses a race or a game, others can certainly point to the issues that caused them to not win, but to legitimize that losing is a positive a learning tool as winning is total crap.

I think acceptance is a stronger affirmation about a subject than tolerance, but you can force acceptance you can't force tolerance, therefore acceptance does not make something valid in the eyes of the majority. I tolerate someone has power over me, but not accept it. People work in those situations all the time. Maybe you are today.

I tolerate ideas that are counter to my own but don't accept them. I suppose in those situations if I am intolerant enough I might act to counter the idea so much that my actions work to make it unacceptable. But if someone is trying to force an opinion on me don't they find my idea or my tolerance to them unacceptable and they are forcing me to bend to their will.

For those that think this is some quasi-political rant, you would be mostly wrong. Lately I have really had to consider what I will tolerate and what I will accept. What I will be forced to accept. Mostly this goes to my health and my growing family. I tolerate that I can't workout but don't accept it. To accept it would make me give in to so many more temptations.

Maybe this is all sort of the difference between a Hoedown and Hootenanny.

Oh and my newest sign off, from the great Calvin (& Hobbes)

There's Treasure Everywhere!

5 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

You wrote:
I think its hogwash that someone should lose to learn a lesson.

I think that losing can teach lessons that are difficult to learn otherwise.

First, it affords an opportunity to develop empathy and sympathy for people who strive for some achievement but fall short.

Second, it affords an opportunity to build resiliency. It is difficult to have the perspective that "winning isn't everything" if one has never lost. Going too long without building the sort of resiliency that losing can help with building means that when a crisis (e.g. career setback for an Ivy-leaguer) does hit the subject may be woefully unprepared.

Athena Misty, aka "GeekGirl" said...

Dude, I totally get this post. Since I started this new job I've been walking that very fine line between "be realistic, now, with what you can honestly complete in terms of endurance events while still enjoying my life" and "don't start making excuses to not go as hard as you can". It's hard to have the insight to know where I should draw that line, sometimes.

kodiacbear said...

Yes, true it is. I myself am still having knee problems and one of the 4 "options" given to me is: sit with it and alter my lifestyle, which in my opinion, is not an option. hang tight my friend, hang tight.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Like a pencil -- we need to experience a painful sharpening from time to time, but it makes us better pencils.
;-)

Geo said...

You really want to know the difference between hoedown and hootenanny?

I'm from Arkansaw and well... we know these things.

Hoedown is for farm folks. Ya put the hoe down (as in stop farming for the day and enjoy)

Hootenanny is for the folks living more in the mountains. It has to do with Hoot-n-hollar.

Ok... but we also have ORBEA bikes right here and crank out some great Ironman finishers here too.