Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Disparity

The Ironman expo is up and running. I was expecting to see bodies in the water this morning as I drove by the course and have to keep reminding myself that Ironman Florida is a Saturday race, Ironman Arizona is a Sunday race which throws the beginning of events off.

I will of course go down and do the whole lookie-loo thing. I hope to have dinner with Tacky and TriMama. Its been a couple years since we last hooked up. I think our after race party in Florida significantly contributed to my kidneys shutting down 18 months later in an Ironman. They still had not recovered. Shouts out to Nytro for sending the Tequila and beer to us poolside.

I met with an fellow Ironman today who is just getting back into the swing of things after a three month foot situation. It drove him crazy and couldn't see how I have gone twice as long without being committed. I could only laugh like someone who gets the joke and its not very funny.

I look in the mirror and don't see the face that burned with a fever for training. I see a face that is a bit puffy and certainly with more gray on the temple. I look forward to getting my juju back and know that some day I will. Until then I can only dress the part and talk the talk. My walk has been medically controlled.

Going back onto an Ironman course, albeit as a spectator, I think will hold some demons for me. Certainly a sadness that I will most likely never be a particpant again but also a knowing that the distance doesn't control me anymore. I don't think I will ever again find a need to sit on a bike for six or eight hours or run for four hours at a clip. No, life is changing for me in not altogether pleasing ways and I will have to make concessions and sacrifices I did not expect.

I suppose having the Ironman distance taken from me instead of me willingly giving it up was a blessing. There's treasure everywhere.

4 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I feel for you, Comm - it is so hard to "sit this one out" over and over.
I am so glad you can still see that, nonetheless, there IS treasure everywhere.

HAve fun taking care of my peeps -
hugs,
Jenny

Bigun said...

You are a challenge seeker, my friend. While Ironman no longer holds your focus, other, equally challenging and arguably more important feats await.

Kona Shelley said...

I understand your pain, I really do. Have fun though and instill your positive attitude and support to those athletes who will be no doubt "freaking out"..Hee hee..
have fun and please take pics if you can.

Mommymeepa said...

If you do take pics can you try and get my friend, Michael Hennessey. The one that will be running in a cowboy hat and two steppin' his way to breaking the world record for most Ironman races in a year. Please cheer for him for me as I would have loved to been there for him. IF you get any pics of him please send me copies. Thanks.