Monday, May 3, 2010

Weekend of trying out

I spent the weekend hiking my two favorite hikes around town and trying out new gear before taking it down the Grand Canyon next month. The added benefit is that I was able to do this with my visiting Godfather who has by far and away spent more time with me on the trail than anyone in my life.

We started with Camelback Mountain here in town. He had never down this trail before. Yes technically its more of a social event than an actual hike, the it ain't all that easy of a hike if you're not prepared for it. Of course we are and took a nice stroll up and down. 

The next day we hiked Siphon Draw, my favorite hike in the area. We did go a bit past up towards Flatiron but we knew we weren't going all the way and turned around at the final saddle before dropping into the chute. While Siphon Draw is fun, Flatiron trail is freaking work. This was not a work day. As an aside, the brush is extra high this season and it was easy to lose the trail. I also say my first snake of the year. I went to grab it for a photo op, but Godfather shewed it aside with hiking poles. It was just a garter snake, but Mo would have thought it was cool. Who am I kidding, I did too. 

As to the new gear, you can see the bright orange LaFuma Cintek 11 pack in the picture above. A detailed review of this pack is coming soon but I am really impressed with it so far. The other is my new trail shirt, the RailRider Eco-Mesh that I wore the following day on the trail. 

The included photo courtesy is of my iPhone. Godfather will be sending me some of his digipic's soon for inclusion.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

That picture of you is great. Look at you all fit and shit. Wow!!

We both have come a long way since November. Keep up the great work.

Can't wait to hike with you when I'm back in town next year.

The Big Cheese said...

What do you weigh now? Jeez, you're not a clydesdale anymore.