Tuesday, May 11, 2010

24 hours of movement. The route.

I announced yesterday that I am attempting a 24 hours solo, unsupported training workout through several cities in the Valley of the Sun.

Link to previous post:

24 Hours of Movement 


Today I am posting the route I am taking to accomplish this. Using Gmap Pedometer I have traced a 77 mile track. As per my Training Contract with Mistress I don't miss family events and Saturday Mighty Mo is in his end of season flag football tournament. So while I know where I will start from, I don't know when I will start on Saturday. For sake of timing I'm listing a High Noon start. Below you will see the course plot points and distances.



Segment  Total *Total  Clock 
Route Miles Miles Time Time
Discovery Park START 0 0 0 12:00 PM
Santan Village to University 9 9 3 hrs 3:00 PM
University to HOUSE 4 13 4.33 4:33 PM
House to Beeline via McD & Gilbert 10 23 7.66 8:06 PM Sunset
Beeline to Shea (FOOD STOP) 7 30 10 10:00 PM headlamp
Around Fountain, Palisades Rd to Shea 8 38 12.66 12:06 AM headlamp
Shea to Greenbelt (GAS STATION) 8 46 15.33 3:33 AM headlamp
Greenbelt to Indian Bend  4 50 16.66 5:06 AM Sunrise
Canal to 68th st 4 54 18 6:00 AM
68th to Curry (CIRCLE K) 4 58 19.33 7:33 AM
Curry around Tempe Lake to McClintock 5 63 21 9:00 AM
University to HOUSE FINISH 14 77 25.66 2:06 PM






*Clock Time based on 20 min miles. 




BOLD locations indicate confirmed water/food points on route

At 24 hours if not home, will call for pick up. Family Lunch. 



Discovery Park where the tourney is at, is in south Gilbert. From there I will actually run home for the opportunity to see the family one more time for a quick food break. Then head west till I can connect with the Beeline highway, grabbing a bite right before hitting the highway. For those that have done Ironman Arizona, I will be running up the hill past the turnaround. I will connect with Shea Blvd, right around sunset and take a food break there at a fast food joint. Using headlamps I will run into Fountain Hills, around the lake fountain and take a hilly residential road back towards Shea Blvd. 

Shea Blvd. presents my only real car threat. There is no sidewalk heading west for a few miles. Therefore I will be running in the wide landscape tract between the east/west lanes. Then a quick refill probably at the Superpumper gas station and I will spend the next several hours running south on the Hayden greenbelt multi use path connecting with the canal system that will take me past Scottsdale Fashion Square. 

If I can't find a refill spot along the way, I know where a Circle K is off the canal at 68th St, which is my exit anyway. I'll then run south down to Tempe Town Lake, I am going to stash some clothes and running shoes at my office and if I need to make any changes I will do so.  I will run clockwise around town lake and start heading east towards home. Planning on Rio Salado to University. University runs just south of my house. 

Sounds easy.

No comments: