Monday, May 10, 2010

Big Ass Event #1 2010: 24 hours of movement

Okay here it is, the first serious touchstone for the rest of my 2010 planning. This weekend I am going to run/walk (movement) for 24 straight hours. I have never done anything like this before and have no idea how this will go.  It is a true endurance test physically and mentally. More so mentally as I am doing this solo and unsupported.

It's something that has been on my mind for quite some time. I feel confident that I can do 24 hours of movement, however unless I actually do it, I won't know. And I want to know. I have set up what I suppose is a reasonable pace of 20 minutes per mile. This doesn't include any stops for water, food or rest. I suppose I am looking to simulate a 100 mile race where these activities are included in the overall time. Based on my estimated pace and Google maps placing the route around 77 miles, this entire training run/walk will take 25.5 hours. If I do not reach my destination (home) in 24 hours, I will call Mistress and she will pick me up and the whole family will go to lunch.

The route will take me through the Arizona cities of Gilbert, Mesa,  Ft. McDowell Yavapai Indian Reservation, Fountain Hills, Scottsdale and Tempe. I have created a route so that I am as safe as I can be. During the overnight period especially,  I will be wearing a rear red light, headlamp or flashlight. I will be using canals and greenbelt trails and stay away from main roads as much as possible. Based on course familiarity I have noted several key points for replenishing food and water.

I will have my cell phone and SPOT 2 gps tracker.  The phone of course will be to communicate with family and friends in case (I need) assistance or (they need) assurance I am okay. SPOT will be tracking me non-stop and every ten minutes will upload my location to a Shared Adventure Page I will set up right before the event begins. I will list that URL link once created. I will also be sending "I'm Okay/Check In" text messages on a regular basis from the SPOT unit to friends and family that will include my last location.    

Admittedly, to the common man, this workout is bat nuts crazy. To memorialize the (literal) training day, I plan on taking a Flip video camera with me and every hour do a short video update that I will eventually splice together and put online. It should be interesting to see how I sustain or degenerate through the course of being alone and in my own head for 90% of the time. 

More to come on this. 

















































































































1 comment:

Jen said...

Sensational! I love your sense of adventure. You certainly are an uncommon man. Looking forward to following your adventure - best of luck!