Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A real race week, again

Wow, I have a race this weekend. I wish I can say I am ecstatic, but to be honest I am trying to stay low key, least I trigger an adrenaline rush and start pre-loading my kidneys at triggering Rhabdo. In fact I took a leak this morning and my urine was pretty dark. The first time in months (with no reason) so I am taking this week seriously but not jumping up and down about it.

I confirmed with my training partner that we are running this thing at about a 12 minute pace. It's his wife's first marathon so she is being conservative. He is doing Ironman St. George but his knee has been dodgy for months. Plus the last two stand alone mary's have seen him dragging across the finish line, so he'd like to finish stronger, albeit slower. Me. I just want to finish standing with a smile on my face.

All my runs for this have been less than typical marathon training mileage but my pace has been about 20-30% faster than race pace. The trade off being when I do run at race pace my HR is zone 1. Right where I want it. However, in the typical "Do it all wrong" category, I am breaking the first rule of racing (Don't Try Anything New On Race Day) by taking a new flavor of Hammer Gel with me. Montana Huckleberry. I know its not as extreme as new shoes, or suit but nevertheless its a change.

Weather looks to be in the mid-70's on race day, so I have to make sure I have plenty of hydration with me. I will probably carry Pedialyte in my fuel belt and drink water at the aid stations every two miles. I don't want to be stuck with just water for all that time.

I really expect this is going to go off without much drama. The recovery will be longer than want next week but its something I understand.

It's not enough to exist. I am going to live.

3 comments:

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

I read about the huckleberry gel, please tell me how you like it.

Personally, the huckleberries I have in my freezer (travled back from CDA with me) will be used to infuse some more vodka. Just saying.

:-)

Mommymeepa said...

I will be praying for you this week and this weekend. You will be AWESOME!!

tarheeltri said...

I wean myself off gels and supplements and now this... Montana Huckleberry gel? You'll have to give a product review. Looking forward to your race report! Good luck.