Monday, February 15, 2010

Event Report #1: 2010 Lost Dutchman Marathon

You never know what to expect on race day. You could have trained and tapered perfectly and fall apart. You can be under trained or otherwise unprepared and unsure and pull together an outstanding day. I had an outstanding day in almost all regards. I will give myself a solid D+ in one area I will discus a bit later.

For those coming in almost two years late to the enormity of this race; during my April 2008 Ironman my body started to break down. Instead of stopping, over the next four hours I willed myself to keep going and right into kidney and liver failure. Then my heart and lungs seized. I broke a rib trying to breath. I cramped up my entire body. Sun stroke. I ended up in the hospital for a week and they told my wife the first night I probably wouldn't make to sunrise. Later I was diagnosed with a certain condition that upon review experts said I should never exercise again, giving me a 1/5 chance of dying in every workout. I eventually went to the top clinic in the world for endurance athletes and they managed, still do to some degree, my return health.

Race day could not have started better. I arrived at my training partners Jeff's house at 0445, coffees in hand. His wife Wendy is running her first marathon, she is also my minder to keep me under control, lest my Type A mind takes control and I decide to blow myself up. As we walked towards several buses that take racers to the start line we enter a random bus and I almost walked into a really good friend, Steve. Then other people recognize me and start calling my name. What a comeback. I sat down to Lisa Ginn, a wonderful woman that I know locally, but only talked to online. What a great chat we had.

The race starts in the middle of the desert running 6 miles into civilization. I start with Steve, training partner and wife and to some respects we all stick together for the length. The first six miles goes great. A bit fast, but its mostly downhill. Back into civilization and along the freeway we maintain a more realistic pace. The route takes us through a large country club, golf course residential area that my team actually uses for bike training and run training. Been on this stretch many, many times which makes it comfortable.

I am definitely strong physically at the pace we're at. It is effortless to maintain and my HR is low zone 2. I have been (happily) peeling off course to urinate, which is clear. I don't think I have peed more during a race. Wendy starts having some hip issues, Steve some breathing issues. You just never know what to expect on race day. Jeff and I run off course so he can get a Coca Cola at a Subway.

Mentally I am far from being able to control myself. I constantly had to reel myself in from wanting to drop my pace. I knew if I stayed with Steve, I would finish safe. Had I ran off, I do think I would have finished the race at least 30 minutes faster or blown up two miles later. But my goal was to finish so I never left his side. He told me to run ahead if I wanted to, and told him I wasn't old enough to go off by myself. Really I couldn't have finished feeling the way I did if it wasn't for him. Thanks Steve.

Steve is Hispanic and he runs with this big ass sombrero to keep the sun off. He got dozen of funny, positive remarks. Its race levity. Around mile 22, some people on horseback were crossing the road ahead. One man, stopped his horse to let us pass. As they were still 30 yards ahead I waved him across. In the middle of the road, he says to us, "My horse doesn't like your hat." Then his horse, mid road, pivots hard, eyes get really big and he snorts at us. I seriously thought the horse was going to charge and got ready to push Steve out of the way but the cowboy reigned him hard and away from us. Super weird.

At mile 24 we ran along some desert. A cowboy on horseback was watching the race. I asked him if the can in his hand was Bud Light. He replied it was Keystone Light and I asked if he had another. From his saddlebag, he produced a cold one and I went over to fetch it. His wife, also on horseback remarked drinking a beer during a marathon probably wasn't the best idea. I remarked, "Ma'am, me doing this marathon probably wasn't the best idea." As it turned out, the race photo team was a half mile ahead and I ran through the picture area with beer in hand.

Due to Steve's breathing problems we ended up fast walking a lot the last four miles with short runs on the flats and downhills. As we crossed the finish line, I saw a dozen friends waiting for us. Lots of hugs and high fives. Several saying, "No hospital. Yeah." What a blast.

I finished in 5:45. Not that a clock mattered to me today, finishing upright with a smile is all that mattered. And I did that. My average HR ended up being 135. I felt really strong the whole day. I even danced at one aid station and did a hula hoop obstacle course at another. I don't think I have had as much fun in a marathon before, always opting for the more aggressive competitive racing style.

I have no idea where this year will lead me with the events I do, but this finish proved at least physically I can still hang. Mentally, I will still need help but if I plan out the year correctly, I can manage those expectations.

Its not enough to exist. I am going to live.


7 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Congratulations!

Bill said...

Whoo hoo! Welcome back, Comm!

Start of slow, throttle back. There's lots of fun to be had running marathons that way.

J-Wim said...

Upright and smiling is all I ever aim for!
Welcome back to the endurance world!

J~Mom said...

It was so great to finally meet you in person!! What a fantastic race back! Congrats!!

Flabbyironman said...

Congratulations. I'm SUPER proud of you for listening to your head and keeping at the pace that you agreed to. Such a big win.

missyblack100 said...

YOU'RE BAAAAACK!!! I am so proud of you. Sounds like you listened to yourself, didn't push it, and had a fabulous time out there. I am so happy for you. Great job. I'm so glad the horse didn't charge you. HAHA. That image made me LOL. Also, glad the cowboy had another beer for you. Great story. Look forward to more race reports. YOU ARE LIVING life to the fullest. Great job.

Andy said...

Back in the saddle again I see :) It's great to get another race under your belt after what happened @ Ironman. Add to the fact that your HR was in a great range most of the time.... You had this race beat! Danced at the aid station. Hilarious! Good Job!