Monday, February 1, 2010

A New Shiny Thing: Suunto Core

I have been hiking enough lately and planning events for the near future that I began looking for a ABC watch (Altimeter/Barometer/Compass). After looking a several makes and models, (a bit of sexy factor) I chose the Suunto Core light green model. Interestingly enough my purchase did not satisfy my desires for an unbreakable watch however I will get to that in a bit.

First off, Suunto has been in the business of outdoor supplies for years, mostly with compasses and diving equipment. It doesn't hurt that their Core line is damn sexy. Their watches are split into two face types, the 'light' which is watch in photo with a greyish background with dark numbers. Then the 'negative' or black watches which is black background and orange or greyish letters. I prefer a watch that is easier to read so chose the light version. Your mileage may vary. (YMMV)

The Time face allows you to see the time in two zones, plus the temperature, sunrise/sunset, seconds, date, countdown. The Altimeter/Barometer

1 comment:

Andy said...

Triathlete magazine's February issue just had an article on this very topic of these types of watches. They compared the pros and cons of the major brands. I have both the Timex Ironman and Garmin Forerunner 305. If Garmin would just adopt a replaceable watch battery or Polar would adopt a Garmin like GPS technology, then they would have the market. As it stands now, you can't get quite what would be considered the perfect GPS/HRM watch in my book. But, as you stated, YMMV!