Friday, February 19, 2010

Coming up next

Why is it so hard to taper the week before a race, but so easy to recover the week after?

Based on the results and recovery of last weekends Lost Dutchman marathon, I feel confident enough to start stringing together dates for 2010 events. My next primary event is the 4.2 mile Pat's Run, a local favorite supporting the Pat Tillman foundation. Pat was an ASU college football player, played in the NFL for the Arizona Cardinals and as a matter of fact did triathlons in the off-season. His coach is a friend of mine. Pat gave up a $3.6 million contract with the NFL to join the US Army Rangers after 9/11. He was killed in Afghanistan. I am also proud to say that my business has become the official headline sponsor of Pat's Run. (Shameless plug)

I've decided to treat this as a TT (time trial) run and really blast the 4.2 miles. My goal is to run sub 7'30" pace. That used to be a decent pace for me before I decided to include swimming and cycling to to the mix. The hard part is that the race is on April 17, two months away and I have to switch from long distance running to foot turnover and speed work. That is going to hurt. I know I can put together miles in the 8's but it takes me 6 miles before my groove sets in to that pace without being forced. I have to get back to that 'off the gun' speed.

The added pressure is well over a hundred employees will be doing this race and I am not satisfied to just show up. I already know the 3-5 people that I know if they race, I can't beat even with my projected pace but they are also not in my AG (Age Group). I could well win my AG for the company and be in the top 5 for the company overall. Looking at the last couple years of results, I'd be top 15% or better in my overall AG.

Mistress is okay with this plan as the race would take about 30 minutes, rather than my times for endurance events which go from 4'30" hrs to 14'30" hrs. The trade off is the how the kidneys react to that crushing pace and zone 4/5 run. I'll find this out in training hopefully.

Its not enough to exist. I am going to live

3 comments:

Mommymeepa said...

Comm, I think you are doing an incredible job getting back into events. I love that you are not just existing ,but living. you are a great example to us all. Thanks. I am honored to know you.

Spokane Al said...

I read the book, Where Men Win Glory and found it gripping while at the same time very troubling.

Andy said...

Blazing Sub 8's!!! That would be sweet. I think the pressure with your co-workers and stuff is great. It will cause you to excel, although I don't think you should go at it too hard. There is a race in a week and a half that is a 10K a couple weeks before the half and I am tempted to do it just to see how fast I can go, and it would be a B/C road race event leading up to the ING half. Keep up the good work! It is good to see that you are diving back in.