Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Spirit of the Deer

About ten years ago I had a workout partner who was a fitness model, fitness educator, new agey-yoga type guy. We could not have been more different as partners. He did lighter weight and higher reps. I was a power movement guy lifting for strength. But it worked. As was often his style he would get very philosophical about fitness being about mind-body-spirit and one day he spoke about the Spirit of the Deer.

First he described the Spirit of the Bear. A bear is a tall powerful creature known for its strength. A bear could run down a human or catch a fish with one swipe of its mighty paw. Bears are also known for eating habits. Bears gorge themselves usually in just one meal a day. They steal food from campers, break into cars based on a scent. Bears love to eat. Bears are creatures of habit. And bears put on a lot of weight in order to hibernate for the winter.

The analogy was that I was the bear. I have problems with food control. I love to eat. I rarely changed my workout style except to add some more running for the odd road race I still enjoyed. My body type is such that I easily put on weight. But I was strong and powerful in the weight room, able to leg press half a ton and bench press 110 pound dumbbells for sets.

Then he described the Spirit of the Deer. A deer is a nimble creature. While fast, it relies on agility to get away from predators. A deer does not gorge, but nibbles all day long. A full stomach does not help a deer in any way. A deer does not hibernate in winter but faces the challenge without significant gain in weight like the bear.

He was the deer. Of course he may have taken the animal analogy too far as like most animals he was unable to remain monogamous, in this case to his very human wife, and she culled him from the herd with a nasty divorce.

The analogy and the story is one that continuously pops into my head when I meditate, both the Spirit of the Deer (and marital fidelity). For the most part, I understand the necessity to remain a lighter, more agile person. A lighter person takes less medication and has, in general, better health. A lighter person is someone who through metabolism or habit has eating patterns that give energy throughout the day, sustained energy. A lighter spirit is seen as a benefit to the eco system and and not agitator.

As someone who is most certainly a bear spirit by nature, I have tried, with some success to become a deer spirit. I no longer train the same way, eat the same way, maintain and sustain my energy the same way. I don't look at life the same way as I did those many years ago. This is progress that I can measure in me by looking at those around me who have lived the same year, every year for the last ten years.

I see the dangers that exist for people that are overweight or obese as they get older, whether they have the spirit of the deer, bear, eagle, hummingbird, whatever spirit someone ascribes to them self, they heavier they are, the worse off they are. (Massive generality).

My point is, this holiday season, with all our obstacles to exercise and nutrition, try to channel the Spirit of the Deer. Eat sparingly and often during the day. Do not gorge at parties. Move around and don't hibernate (wise advice for any day). Think light and nimble, someone who bounds over small logs on your trail (obstacles) instead of big, lumber, energy draining bears who stomp through the brush leaving a path of destruction behind it and end up exhausted and have to take long naps.

Its not enough to exist, I am going to live.

No comments: