Monday, December 14, 2009

Spinning around

Today I went to my first spin class in years. I was challenged by the spin staff to go through the class. Since I am technically a big-deal in my company, and I accepted the challenge, the first person of my level to do so, the instructor(s) delighted in the days leading up by describing the pain they were going to put me through. I let them have their good humor at my expense.

Surprise, surprise when I showed up with cycling shoes. The instructor was helpful with a smirk and loud announcement. When asked to provide my official title, I responded 'Janitor' with a laugh and I believe the point was made to the other cyclists.. The cycling shoes did not fit the clips but they had a better bottom than my running shoes so I used them anyway in the strap in pedals. A quick set up, light spin, black lights on, and away we went.

My thoughts of the class are as follows. First, I will give it to the instructor, he put on a great class and did not let me or any previous sense of goading me distract from the experience he gave the whole class. As a strict triathlete cyclist, I am used to being in the aero position and trying to stay as tight as possible for hours at a time. Spin class had way to much standing for me. And swaying the body with upper body training. It took me 75% of the class to break that habit and try to get into the 'swing' of things.

When the lights came on, the regulars milled about. Some saw the lake of sweat around my bike. Its was prodigious. The instructor came over and gave me a very nice compliment, my ability to finish the class the way in which I did was all the abbreviated commentary that was needed.

A bunch of the people in class wore HRM and were comparing calories burned. I heard, "330....520" and so forth. I got done cleaning up my bike and looked at my own Polar monitor. 1005 calories. I was taken aback and actually said the number out loud. One of the ladies looked at me and was pissed. Pissed. I think she is usually the center of attention for the class and I just clowned the calories burn category by almost 50%.

As it turns out, I will be back at that club when the instructor is teaching another class this week. I plan on making a repeat showing. I don't think I will make this a full on habit but its a nice change of pace.

It's not enough to exist. I am going to live.

2 comments:

THE OLD GEEZER said...

You have a very interesting blog
God Bless You

Bill said...

Nice writeup. You've definitely got me thinking about throwing one or two classes in over the winter. Just for grins and giggles.