Sunday, August 22, 2010

Getting serious

On a early morning last week I remarked to Mistress, "I'm tired of training by myself. Enough! I start training with the team again this weekend."  Not long afterward I got a flurry of meet ups in my inbox and the schedule was set.  

Boy did it feel good to train with my friends again. On a 50 mile ride Saturday morning I enjoyed some great fellowship and ran into more than a few people that knew me and were doing their own thing out there. What a wonderful feeling. I am blessed to know so many great people. 

Man it was hot out there. If not the heat, the humidity. Either way, after a couple hours of getting heated up there is no getting away from that weight on you. It is in those moments you try to forget that you agreed to brick a run. (For my non-triathlon friends- a brick is a second workout immediately following the first. In this case, "I did a bike/run brick." )  However, the genie was out of the bottle and when the question comes out like a dare, "You're still running after, right?" you have to HTFU and get out there. A brick run in this environment is the crucible that creates endurance success.  But it hurts.

In the end I got through that run which ended my total brick workout at exactly 4 hours.  It felt good to be out there with everyone but more importantly it felt good to be ready for bed at 8pm.



No comments: