Monday, August 16, 2010

It begins again...again.

I honestly don't have a 'thing' about Mondays. Maybe its because I love what I do for a living. Maybe it is because I have a nutrition, exercise, work and life routine that is not based on a weekly circadian. I map out my day, my week, my month or my year in variety of ways and once that jives, I could care less if its a Monday morning or Friday night, I'm doing whats on the schedule. I think most triathletes or endurance pursuers can relate to this especially with fitting in training. 

My conference ended last Friday and during that gathering I ate some really high end and low end food, stuff my body is certainly not used to. On Saturday we went into the small nearby town and had a big ole' biscuits and gravy breakfast. At SeaTac Airport later that day, I had to dine at Anthony's. I got home late and had a salad. BAM, right back on the plan. 

Sunday, I did not get a chance to hit any of the big four (swim, bike, run, strength) but had enough of a list of GTD (Getting Things Done) that I did not want for activity. Normally I food journal throughout the day to stay on track, but couldn't get to it until after dinner. But my nutrition was spot on.

To make sure my body detoxes well and get the latent sugar and fat desires out of me I use a fairly spartan week when I get back from trips get back back on schedule. A sort of forced compliance. Rices, yams, grilled chicken and fish, broccoli, colored peppers for lunch and dinners. Oatmeal, protein pancakes or drinks for breakfast. I constantly try to get more veggies and fruit in my day but honestly I don't do well unless Mistress puts it in front of me. 

Training takes a larger priority this week. I actually did well last week but the hour running in the morning and whatever expenditure you attribute me to golf (for someone who doesn't normally golf) I don't feel my overall activities reached my usual standards. Even though I did actually swim, bike and lift weights as well. Nothing monster this week, consistent exercise is more important than intensity and distance. At the end of the week it will all add up to where I want to be. 

Reading this post for edit, this week sounds so mundane and I suppose thats the point. Even with highly energetic athletes in their daily life, training and nutrition is not something to get emotional about. It is what you do. It is who you are. Do you get excited about brushing your teeth every day?  No. But you do it and you do it well or you suffer at the dentist. In this analogy, you respect your exercise and nutrition or you suffer on the race course. 

So I raise a fork of rice, veggies and grilled chicken to you. Eat up. Then get out and train. It might be Monday, but everyday is a great day to add quality and quantity to your life.  

No comments: