Saturday, March 7, 2009

Its a shakedown for a reason

I had little expectations in my workout Saturday. Meet the team for a swim at Canyon Lake and make sure my watch and wetsuit work. The watch got a new battery last week, the wetsuit had a long rip that I patched myself over the winter.

I wore the newly rebatteried Polar watches for a quick shower and drove out to the lake. Why was the watch face foggy on the way up? Why when I toggle through the functions is the screen is readable but all messed up? Damn. The seals and screws must not be tight enough. I decided on the one hour drive out to the lake that I would wear the watch swimming anyway, it's going to work or not. Why an hour, you ask and not the usually much shorter drive. Out of state folks who are on their slow ass nature treks. It sucks. Its like driving through a 10 mile single lane school zone at 15 mph and its not a school day and you can't pass them.

I got to the beach on time and the rest of the team showed up a bit late, same issue. As I slipped into my full wetsuit, the first time since Ironman last year, the zipper was stuck. After a pal tugged on it, it broke. Damn.

Watch busted. Wetsuit busted. An hour drive, a twenty minute wait for everyone to show and no swim. Oh well. It's why its called a shakedown. Based on the condition I was in the last day I wore that wetsuit, I'll take those two flaws to being dead.

There's treasure everywhere.

1 comment:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Ack! I can feel my blood pressure wanting to rise. You are a gem for still knowing there's treasure everywhere. I love that phrase.