Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Expected & Unexpected blessings

I got a call from my brother today. He is being deployed to Afghanistan in March with his National Guard unit. He will be gone at least one year. This is his second deployment. The first deployment was also for one year but he only had four hours notice. This news given to him on September 12, 2001.

Our family is not new to deployments. My father only retired from the military when he was forced out due to mandatory age requirements. I spent ten years in combat arms. My brother has been in for fifteen years now, currently as a Drill Instructor. A position I once held.

This deployment is not blessing but the location is. Had he been kept stateside he would have lost considerable pay compared to his normal job. Going to Afghanistan pays much better and is not such a hardship on the family financially. And yes its a bit morbid but if your going to be called up, we Mann's like going where the action is.

Mistress and I got some unexpected news today. We've been overpaying my car payment for two years and the bank is not happy. I get to skip my next two payments with no penalty so I am back on their loan track. That is a boat load of money and man that sure comes in handy with a baby on the way.

See. There's treasure everywhere.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Best of luck to your brother in his posting.

And how nice to happen into some "found money"!

Fumo Santo said...

Best of luck to your bro.

As for the car, of course the bank is upset, for they're not getting all their planned interest on your initial loan. I would have liked to have heard the conversation should you have turned down their offer of skipping two payments and continued on overpaying each month.

stronger said...

As you once posted, I know you'll take good care of your brother's family while he is gone.

Bill said...

Best wishes to a safe and fruitful deployment for your brother. I hoist my glass in his honor.

Brent Buckner said...

Best wishes to your brother. Good that he has your family looking out for his!

ShirleyPerly said...

Glad your brother had more notice this time about his deployment. Hope he stays safe.

And wonderful to have extra money during the holidays!