Tuesday, December 30, 2008

All over the place

I just can't figure out what to focus on today so its a bit of everything.

First, my blog reader has been down, so I have been unable to read other blogs for the last few weeks. Working on it. But thanks to those of you leaving me comments. I really appreciate them and as those who do, know, I respond to almost all that have a valid return email.

Second, New York continues to increase its nanny-state tactics with a possible tax on regular soda. I said the government would issue a fat tax when they realized they could do a similar thing with cigarettes suits ten years ago. And I was laughed at. I said the same thing last year when New York city banned trans-fats in restaurants. I was challenged (albeit with some good points) yet my concern was unabated. Now, sure enough, New York looks to once again insert itself one step closer to what you stock your cupboard with. They will not make sugary drinks illegal. They will simply tell you that "because it leads to 'this', we are going to tax it."

It is logical to think that this tax would be below the line of your food bill, along with your other taxes but lets get real, all taxes are passed on to the consumer. Restaurants will hide the increase in cost by raising the purchase price of all their soda offerings.

Well excuse me but my favorite beverage after a long run on a hot day was a classic Coca-Cola. I could gulp it down and get the perfect burp to settle my stomach. Why do you think Ironman races offer it on the run course? Its the only time I drink classic Coke.

Oh, you don't drink regular soda, you also don't smoke and you didn't eat trans-fats, so you don't care. Again I bang my drum, by saying nothing you are allowing the government to insert themselves further into your life and soon enough they will tax something you do and by then it will be too late to turn.

Third, Oregon receives a lot of its income from gas taxes. Thanks to the rise in gas prices lately and the push for mor fuel efficent vehicles this fund has taken a huge hit in the state. Now their thinking about putting a GPS on every residents car. If they don't drive a certain distance then they will be given a penalty tax.

So if I get this straight, (and maybe i don't), but if your car breaks down, or you decide to ride mass transit to save money, or ride your bike to work twice a week because your training for an Ironman or maybe your unable to drive due to injury or travel, you would be penalized for that.

I suppose I should then dismiss the fact that some agency would then know exactly where you are at given moment. We would never think that our beaurocrats would take information they are already gathering on us and use it for another purpose. Maybe it would begin by an Amber Alert agency or the state police saying they need the information to perform a public service, then it just becomes a routine information request and any P.I. or person with an interest in you can log into a computer and up your car comes on Google maps.

Lastly, today marks 13 years of marriage to my lovely Mistress. God knows, I have put this woman through all kinds of hell and yet she loves me just the same. (At least I think she does) *single eyebrow raised* I kinda don't know what else to write, I wish I could be as eloquently as Nytro when she writes about her spouse, IronBenny, but in this matter I think only my heart has the words and not my mind.

There's treasure everywhere.

6 comments:

stronger said...

Happy Anniversary!

LBTEPA said...

Happy Anniversary and best wishes for many more :)
BTW the verification word is 'scents' - maybe you should get Mistress some perfume!

Pete said...

The Oregon idea (it's not even actual legislation at this point) is quite different than you describe. Actually, it's the opposite: You aren't hit with a "tax penalty" for not driving; you are taxed based on the miles you drive within the state.

The current gas tax pays for road construction and upkeep. The growth in that revenue stream has been falling for several years (it's not a product of the run-up in prices last year and earlier this year, although that did exacerbate the problem), while the state has been growing and the need for more roads, improved roads, and just plain fixed roads is increasing. The idea is to have the people who use the roads pay for them according to how much they use them. All of which makes sense.

As for the GPS, the system isn't designed to record precise location but instead determine the "zone" in which the car is driving, and to record aggregate miles in the zone. (The thought down the road is that driving in some zones might be taxed at a higher rate, I think.)

Personally, I think the GPS idea isn't dangerous but it is absurdly silly. Yes, they've been testing the system with a few hundred cars the last few years. But you just know that in the real world this thing is going to be one big mess.

Meanwhile, and more importantly, congrats on the anniversary!

Pete
Portland, OR

Brent Buckner said...

Best wishes of the New Year!

J~Mom said...

I heard about this on the radio. For someone like me soda does equal fat, I even try to stay away from diet as it just replaces water that I should be drinking. But anyway, my husband is too thin if you ask me and I think he needs to drink regular soda. LOL But why make him pay a fat tax when he is not fat and probably won't ever be? I couldn't agree with you anymore on your position.

Happy Anniversary!!

M said...

I am a little late but Happy Anniverary!!!