Saturday, December 17, 2011

Winter season racing, the second half

The first half of my winter racing season was to test my body's ability to physically recover from repetitive intense racing. The second half, beginning in January will test my ability to suffer mentally and physically over longer periods of time. 

My schedule as it stands:

Tough Mudder, Arizona on January 14. 
Super Spartan, Southern California on January 28.
Super Spartan, Arizona on February 11.
Goruck Challenge, Phoenix on February 18
Super Spartan, Miami on February 25. 

These challenges are uniquely dependent on philosophy, location, weather, course terrain and in the case of Goruck, personal preference of the cadre running the class. It will combine intense running with ballistic movements to navigate obstacles and prolonged physical and mental stressing to maintain certain exertions as long as possible.  

As someone who doesn't normally think about age but exertion, I am finally starting to come to terms with my own abilities. I can and will always improve, but I realize I am moving farther away from when I could have learned proper technique and used it for many decades instead of just a couple. I am living myself out of the most competitive age groups, rather than looking forward to entering them. I realize I can still compete and in fact beat a high percentage of people regardless of their age, but I can't also dismiss that my first marathon was in 1992. 

I get so excited looking at my entire winter racing season, what has occurred and what is to come. I am learning it is sometimes best to train smarter not harder. Something I have not historically been good at. I am trying to comfortable in my ability and recognize the glory in the improving and doing, and not comparing myself to athletes half my age. 

It's not enough to exist. I am going to live. 

2 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I don't think that I agree with your comment where you stated in part that you are, ". . .living myself out of the most competitive age groups." My first marathon was in 1979 and am now in my early 60s, and if one measures competition by other competitors in that AG instead of the numbers of other competitors or the finish times of those competitors or that of other racers in general, I think that every age group remains extremely competitive.

Frances said...

Doing sports during the winter season could be more tiring and you'll definitely wish to relax in your patio heated by a patio heater for you to rest comfortably.