Sunday, December 18, 2011

Beginning next Monday

The problem with the title of this post is that 'Next Monday' is always the next Monday. And not tomorrow.And I am looking forward to it. For the last several days I have taken a micro vacation from training, which is odd since my real vacations usually involve racing or training or adventuring. Nevertheless, for the last week I have lived on the other side of fitness, otherwise known as just like 80% of the American population. 

I have eaten anything I wanted in the quantity's I've wanted. I have cracked beers at 10am and stronger cocktails in the hot tub starting at noon. Ate way more movie popcorn in one sitting than I should have. Devoured handfuls of peanut M&M's at a time. I did have some blackberries the other day, sandwiched between sponge cake and whip cream. I am sugared, boozed and fooded out. Today is the last hoorah. I have lived with Common Man Syndrome, (the title of my former long running website). Yet those that read that (ahem) amazing website, whose entries have been transferred to this one, you know I am not the Common Man. I am the UNcommon man. 

So, next Monday really is the start of my next periodization phase. My nutrition will for a short period be extremely tight to reset my habits, get some quick results to counter my excess and get my mind reprogrammed to start thinking right again. When you eat clean you really don't need to take pills or buy programs to detox. Your body will do it naturally. So I expect some radical GI issues next week. It won't be as bad as having the sugar gut I have today or the hangover feeling most people will have the morning after a Christmas party. 

My morning rituals will have new stretches and workout routines.My normal workout program is still a great rotation of power, agility and endurance so not much needs to be changed on that front. I will start adding more planned cardio at the end of the day, to get back to my combat weight more quickly. It will be good active rest as well. 

My one weakness in the last phase of training was supplementation. I cramped too much when it counted.  This is something I will address this phase with better flexibility but also introducing something to help reduce lactic acid build up, increase oxygen uptake at the cellular level and delay muscle fatigue. I'm looking at changing my multi-vitamin, and adding glutamine and BCAA's back into my diet. I'll also look at some performance products that friends have really felt helped them, like Sport Legs and Recovery e-21. This can be a longer term trial period than my next 90 day training and racing season but anything that works in the winter will work in the summer and as 2012 progresses so will the difficulties of my racing. 

Let it begin...next Monday. 

Its not enough to exist. I am going to live. 



No comments: