Monday, December 19, 2011

simplified nutrition

I am often asked to define my 'diet' or the way that eat. Do I do The Zone, Atkins, Paleo, Mediterranean, Eye Color, Blood Type, on and on I could go. And my response is rather uninspiring. I don't normally do or recommend exclusionary diets, as in almost every case they result in cheating and rebound weight gain. 

Instead I eat just about everything, in moderation, and of course I have some loose parameters to keep myself on track. The main rule of thumb is that the foods I eat individually have five or less ingredients, not including the ingredients that follow the caveat, "Contains less than 2%...". Following this rule of thumb means for example I am picky about the crackers I eat but I still eat them; choosing Triskets (3 ingredients) over Wheat Thins (11 ingredients). In discussing a combination of foods in a meal such as an omelet, each ingredient would comply with the 5 or rule while there may be more than five ingredients in the overall dish. 

Look, this isn't some peer reviewed, zero defect program. There are lots of poor food choices that can be made with items that have less than five ingredients; canned whipped cream has less than five ingredients, some fruit juices have less than five ingredients because there really isn’t fruit juice in it but a combination of chemicals that create that flavor.

When I come off a training or nutrition layoff, when I need to reset my mind and habits back into a proper lifestyle of eating, I go a little more extreme for a short period of time. Think days not weeks. Eating will be as bland as I can get it, eschewing condiments or extra spices, I get as close to natural or fresh and as clean as I can get to force effect of action.  As I have been doing this for years, I can re-establish my patterns again quite quickly.
Not to deny myself and create a binge situation, I have two or three cheat meals per week. One is family based, one is personal based. My family includes children whose routine is pizza and DVD night every Friday. I cherish this time as a father because I know far too well how quickly sleepovers and social engagements will derail these family moments. So if it makes my kids happy to see me eat pizza with them on the floor, I will do it. Every time. And then one personal cheat meal for me each week. This covers a moment of weakness, an unplanned meet up with a friend, and things of that nature.

I could follow a book diet or exclusionary program and I have. I know I don’t like to be denied food options and I know I need to recognize what it is I am eating, If my body is telling me I need salt, I want to be able to go for some crackers but also want to recognize a good choice over a poor one.

My program forces me to eat more of the things I don’t normally choose like fruits and be picky about the things I would like to eat like bread. It almost totally negates junk food as very few candies and sweets are fewer than five ingredients.

I stay compliant; I have an unlimited opportunity to create meals when I can’t control the situation outside my own kitchen. I have flexibility. I don’t feel the need to cheat or lie to myself about what I want and what I can eat. Its not for everyone.

It’s not enough to exist. I am going to live.







No comments: