Saturday, December 31, 2011

Out on the down low

I've had some pretty incredible New's Years Eves. I've gotten in 'trouble' in more than one foreign country. I've been lost and wasn't sure I would be found. I've been on large yachts sipping champagne and watching fireworks. I've started 5k's at the ball drop and I kissed a girl I'd never met before. 

I've woke up on January 1 of whatever year and been in the best shape of my life or just in shape. I suppose more than a few, pretty out of shape as well. Up, down, turned around, in the whole scheme from what I remember, its been a pretty wild  ride. 

This weekend, Lord I remember how much fun it was to have a major holiday like this on a weekend, is very low key. We've passed on the parties, we've closed the house down for the year as it were. Mistress, for those that do not know that is my wife's non de guerre, is still recovering from a very invasive shoulder surgery the day before Christmas and still pretty wiped out. Not being used to the drugs they gave her during and after it's been a scary detox. Bed rest and quiet are the top prescriptions. 

The timing is right for this low key New Years. My 2011 was full of excitement; marathons, ironman, obstacle course racing. My first 1st Place finish ever in a race. Most importantly the workouts and friendships I made along the way. I would be remiss if I didn't say it sadly includes the loss of more than a few good friends to causes noble and not. Missed the same nevertheless. 

I'll miss 2011, all things considered I grew as a husband, a father and an athlete, which made me, I think, a better man. I am not the same person I was when the year started. I can't wait to see what kind of person I'll be a year from now. 

Don't survive. Thrive. 


No comments: