Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Voices in my head

Another morning, another pre-dawn run. As I ran through my neighborhood alone, I picked up the scent of fresh cut grass wet from overnight sprinklers. The sound of a lone bird chirping the pending rise of the sun just a hour or two away.

Then I heard the footfalls of someone running behind me.

I am the only one out here, which means that I am the runners target. I am not fast enough today to be the rabbit but I really don't want to be passed on this lonely stretch of road. So I step it up. If this person is going to pass me, they are going to have to earn it. I calculate that living where I do, that my pace should keep me ahead but I am laboring, easily a minute faster per mile than normal. I can't let up. My head is high and my chin tucked. Feet land under me and I have a high kick. If I get passed I will look like a proud runner not some hugging, puffing heel striker.

I see the oncoming lights from two cyclists and I grunt a 'Hi' when we come abreast, getting one back in return. Like waiting for the lightening after thunder I begin to count in my head, waiting to here something from the two cyclists or runner behind me. I can then calculate how far ahead I am. I hear nothing.

What an arrogant bastard this runner is. Or is too out of breath to say anything.

A quarter mile ahead is my turnaround. There is 25% chance this runner behind me is going the same way I am. I pray he goes another direction because I am tired. I can't turn around for fear of seeing just how close this person is, losing a precious moment of ground. I can hear their breathing and occasional discharge of spittle and its enough. I reach my turnaround and now as I double back I hold my head high and pray the person behind me doesn't follow for I will surely be passed.

No one is there.

Could it be that it was all in my head? It must have been. I look at my watch and the time is good. I always try to negative split my morning runs but not sure I can today. I don't need a shadow to spur me on and I give it my best. But I wasted so much energy on the way out.

I negative split anyway.

2 comments:

Nytro said...

you and benny are way. too. much. alike.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

love it! I've heard runners before too and it turned out to just be me - but I've never heard them spit!!!!