Wednesday, May 13, 2009

a return

There are just some places you go to, like an old running route, where you feel either resolution or resignation.

Now in your life, if you come to this place at all it is your 5th, 6th, 7th choice to run or never run at all again. Once this route made you seem strong, you maybe hit your first goal here with your running. Your first 3 miles without stopping, your first PR at that distance. The memories of the route are still good but inside you feel you've matured. Going here is like going back to elementary school, whether your ready for it or not you never remember the toilets being smaller than regular ones.

I ran an old course this week around a large park, one of my first running routes when I moved to this part of town. It used to be too small and I have to run several laps but now its just enough. I didn't really want to be running this course but it's important to have multiple routes in your daily plan, you never know when you can't do the workout you want but have time somewhere and and somewhen else in a day.

I didn't challenge myself like in the past, I savored it. I remember the hot runs, the cold runs, the settings suns and rising, runs that elated me here and runs that left me blistered or hurt. Today however was just a get out and run run.

I want to be further along in my recovery. I reboot in 2010 and I dare not even now give it too much power in my mind. For all the times I plotted races here and made this place my first post-race route, this day was just a day to enjoy and that seems far to rare for us competitive people.

There's treasure everywhere.

No comments: