Monday, May 18, 2009

Public Interest BS

Slightly tongue in cheek and sarcastic and yet somewhat seriously, here are some of the observations I have made lately, mostly from television.
  • The big three television channels refuse to show condom commercials. I have no problem with that. But why am I subjected to tampon commercials? I really have no desire to see 30 second ad's mostly sing song crap with a bouncing red dot all over the darn screen. Please stop. Really. Stop.
  • Why do car commercials have to come with a banner along the lines of, "Professional driver. Closed course"? How necessary is this? You mean driving down the road in a SUV at night with three buddies is really that dangerous? Oh, right. I am supposed to assume that they are filming the commercial on a real road and its normal to drive up buildings and lights stream like a LSD trip.
  • Along the same genre. Gee, T-Mobile, you mean you're not supporting or encouraging subscribers to cut down telephone poles with a chainsaw when they become members? I just assumed that a responsible business would not need to encourage such behavior.
  • Look. I think that it is important that people understand what side effects their prescription drug may cause them, but I don't need some 25-35 year old female on screen or using a voice over telling me things such as, "rashes, incontinence, anxiety, frothing of the mouth, back spasms, sleep driving, crossed-eyes and death", may be the result of me taking something for hay fever. This is what pharmacists are for. I highly recommend them.
  • Stop making commercials that force me read them. I don't want to read commercials. I don't even want to watch most of them. INXS, you caused all this with your damn video 'Mediate'. But at least you said the word written on the board. Now its just dumbed down to me having to read what they want me to for 30 seconds.
  • While your at it, why are commercials three times louder than television shows? I can barely hear a conversation of something I want to watch, stop making me turn around halfway to the kitchen on a break cause the volume has now shaken the windows.
  • In Arizona I have to sign a federal document and use ID to purchase sudafed. Yes, sudafed the cold medicine. You see, sudafed is used to make the drug crystal meth. But so is 5 gallons of window washer fluid. You ever purchase five, I said FIVE gallons of washer fluid at one shot? No. Ever buy one pack of Sudafed? Of course. The point is that there are many chemicals that are much less common purchases that go into the making of meth. I'd rather they tracked those items, like oh, gallons of battery acid. When was the last time you bought a gallon of that? Oh yeah right, never.
  • I was driving in my friends Mazerati the other day. Sweet ride. Cost the same as my first mortgage. On his sun visor is a non-removable heat treated patch reminding him how to put on his seat belt correctly. Hello? Don't you think this is sort of already a part of our culture? Sure people elect not to do, it but does there have to be a permanent reminder stamped on a visor on a car that costs over $100,000? Plus every new car has that ncesant ding dong chime when you drive three feet without clipping in. I checked on my own car, its a federal crime to disingage the dummy chime or dummy light.
  • On local morning news shows, female metoerologists always stay in studio but the men spend a few hours a week going to locations like public school and small businesses. Female forecasters we are supposed to be taken seriously, male forecasters are supposed to make us laugh. How sad. Male forecasters are the circus clowns of the morning news.
  • Aside from actress Jane Lynch (manager in 40 Year old Virgin, dog trainer in Best in Show) who can do no wrong, I can't stand the commercials for Glee, the new summer series on FOX. This show looks horrible and sounds horrible. Like most glee clubs it will sound cool and then die a quick, shamefull death because it's not cool. In real life the people that are in glee clubs are the ones that can't make it onto the cheerleading squad, band or choir. That's why it's a club and not an activity worthy of a varsity letter. A word of advice, no one is every going to tap into high school agnst and adversity like Freaks And Geeks. Even if the high schools in both shows have the same name.

7 comments:

greyhound said...

Ah, the joy of finally having a DVR. The Giro would be impossible without it, because I think I'd go nuts if I had to watch another hair loss or weight loss or boner loss commercial.

Fumo Santo said...

I'd have to say I'm in agreement with just about each observation. And yes, the commercials (especially on HD channels) are far louder than the programming.
We were just commenting last night on how nice it is to watch shows on DVD as opposed to when they air on the networks (even with utilizing a DVR). We've recently blown through seasons 1-3 of "24", and just purchased Arrested Development (yeah, we're pretty much behind the 8-ball).
I look forward to the day when I hook up a dedicated pc to the TV and simply stream shows on sites such as Hulu and/or Netflix...

Bigun said...

Comms - can you really compare feminene hygene products to birth control? Granted they get used in the same general area, but the underlying VERB is a bit different...

I hate the f'n commercial volumes. Kill me, why don't ya!

I hate to say it, but the West Point Glee Club thrives - killers with great singing voices...

Of course the mere reading of disclaimers and signing of disclaimers is not enough - you watch; IM loses that Florida lawsuit, and the end of triathlon will be close at hand. It's all about the lawsuit.

M said...

Ditto on what Bigun said - the thought I has while I was reading through all those is, "Because there will always be that one idiot..."

I mean, normal thinking people like you and me know not to cut down phone poles, but you know there is that guy out there who actually does it. Or the people that sue the car company when they are injured ina accidnet because they didn't wear there seatbelt - and their excuse is that there was nothing in the car to remind them to do it.

It's true - this stuff happens. Hot McDonald's coffee anyone?

Shelley said...

That was funny, glad I almost NEVER watch TV anymore..:-)

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

LMAO right now Comm. This is great, but not as great as TIVO!! :-)

Mommymeepa said...

Gotta get TIVO. We never watch commercials, but so agree with you on every point you made except the comment on Glee Club is for those who couldn't make it into band, cheerleading, or choir. I had a friend that was in band and choir and glee club. She loved to sing. My son's a singer already, so we will be watching it. I always enjoy your posts. You are so right on with all of this. Thanks for the laugh.