Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I Yoged, I Yoga'd. iYoga...

...you get the point. I went through my very first yoga class ever.

Yoga has confused me. First was the different types. Then the stereotypes. Then the mysticism/spiritual/religious aspect of it. Don't misunderstand. I have known Yogi's. I have trained with Yogi's on deep breathing techniques. I understand the underlying principles of mind clearing and finding center. It was just the 'extra' crap that gets tossed in that kept me away.

And the fact that runners and weightlifters are notoriously antithetical to flexibility.

I honestly think I was less nervous before my ironmans than before this class today. Seriously. I went to work in workout clothes, knowing that if I had to change I would bail. I forced myself to stay at work until the mid morning class so I wouldn't run away and chicken out. I so wanted to find a reason to not participate.

The instructor had invited me, so this wasn't a blind show up. She was outstandingly patient with me and helped get me set up. I told her I was very nervous. As the small class filled in, I took the back of the room.

The breathing for me was automatic. All I needed to focus on was moves and not making an ass of myself. One hour later, I think I represented myself well. And I actually really enjoyed the class. I was not the worst person in the room and I surprised myself with some of the moves I was able to hold.

The class is progressing so I don't think I can judge if it was beneficial as a workout like the stereotypes project. Also, I am not flexible enough to be hitting all the areas of muscle tension. I think as time goes on it will become a more strenuous program.

I will try to keep at it. I have nothing to lose. The true lesson for me was to go beyond my comfort zone and try something new.

There's treasure everywhere.



3 comments:

Wendy said...

Good for you!

momo said...

i've been doing yoga the past few weeks, too, comm - trying to rehab my back and i really love it. good for you for trying something new. it's a great compliment to all that we do that is so hard on our bodies.

Mommymeepa said...

Yoga scares me, so good for you. I'm not there yet.