Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Review of Therm-a-Rest Tech Blanket - Regular

Originally submitted at REI

Part of the Therm-a-Rest Comfort System, this blanket offers bedlike comfort on the go.


Tech blanket = Travel perfect

By comm from Mesa, Az on 1/15/2011

 

4out of 5

Pros: Soft, Easy To Clean, Comfortable

Cons: Price

Best Uses: Summer, Indoor sleeping

Describe Yourself: High-end Shopper

I am 5'10", 180 lbs and found the Regular size to be too small for my liking. Width was fine as a throw quilt but too short in length. For an adult male I would only recommend the Large size.

I would say that the Tech Blanket is very compatible to the GI poncho liner, the venerated 'Woobie'. A little thicker but it will pack smaller.

It can be used as part of a back country sleep system but the range is at best a windless 50 degrees without adding layers. My primary use is indoors.

It will keep you warm when its cold and keep you comfortable when its hot. Pack-ability is a strong point for its temp rating and takes the guessing out of how comfortable you will be when staying overnight at the relatives. When driving to destinations its fought over by everyone as a blanket or pillow (when packed).

Coupled with the fitted sheet and the neoair mattress (both therm-a-rest), you can sleep anywhere, anytime in comfort with very little space used in your luggage.

My only con is price. At this time a Large tech blanket is approx. $60. A Woobie is half the cost. If the price was $40 I think the price point open up their demographic.

(legalese)

No comments: