Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Another road trip

I've been busier than I ever expected since I got the opportunity to take some time off starting in November. I figured I would be stress free and training hard. It really hasn't gone exactly as that but I am having a really fun time doing whatever it is I am doing. I don't miss the headaches of customer service and employee issues. I have misplaced my phone for a day or two at a time and I don't realize it. I took off my watch and forgot to put it on for a week. I think the best part has been the enjoyment of spending all of Mighty Mo's school vacation with him. 

There was the ten day family road trip to Disneyland, Fishermans Wharf, Alcatraz and Sacramento for a massive 60+ family dinner (with many relatives missing).  I schedule some days to-do lists based on what movie matinĂ©e I want to see. I have done day hikes in the middle of the week, stayed up all night playing video games because I can. It has been at or near freezing here at night so I run when I want after it warms up. Crack a beer at 11am because its 5 o'clock somewhere and theres a Family Guy marathon on tv. Today is, I think, Wednesday and I spent the afternoon at IKEA with my wife helping her buy a tea cup display cabinet. Who knew they had those! 

Tomorrow I leave for a road trip with my dad. I wish it was to some exotic destination for fishing but instead its back to Sacramento to watch my brother receive a  very prestigious award only given to Infantrymen. For you military readers out there, it's not one of the usual Army infantry medals, it's a Something of St. Something and it comes with a wide ass ribbon and garish medal you wear award your neck. I shouldn't be so flippant, its a important award and I am proud of him. 

We are going to waylay at my Godfathers for a day to hang out and eat sushi, then all drive up to the function. Then pick up one of our fishing/hiking buddies and drive to my Godfathers cabin in the Sierra's for a few days to again hang out, watch the BCS bowl game Monday night and I can do some snow training. The cabin is over 7,000 feet and was told today that there is 15' of untouched snow on the ground and about 5' in areas that people try to clear like around houses and driveways. Should be fun.  

I suppose we could be worried about being snowed in, but they are all retired and I guess for right now, I am too. Its not like any of us have to be anywhere next week. Though Mo is having a pretty serious procedure scheduled for sometime within the next two weeks. I shouldn't miss that. More on that situation in my next post in a few days. 

Till then, I really do hope that everyone had a great holiday season and a happy New Year. It's not enough to exist. You got to live. 

No comments: