Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ego Sucker

If you follow Joseph Campbells Hero Journey, you already know that the titular hero gets his ass kicked many times before he is triumphant. While not the proverbial ass kicking today, I have had my ego bruised. I admit it, I have an ego.

To continue the saga of Mistresses hit and run last week, the insurance company totaled her minivan. That sucks as we got a lot of use out of that vehicle and she really liked driving it. It complimented our lifestyle. And it had a great payment price. As the both of us need a vehicle, I have given her my Charger and I am borrowing a 1992 Chevy Lumina. Yeah. There's the ego being sucked out of the room.

I don't mind that the seat belt is attached to the door. I don't even mind the red velor interior. I actually really like that I don't have a second car payment right now. But this car gets zero respect on the road and whereas I used to have to remind myself to stay at the speed limit, I am now pushing my foot down to get there.

The reality Mo's health has taken a turn and he needs more prescriptions and doctor appointments, plus with the current economic climate, not having a car payment right now can overcome a lot of my pride. HTFU. We could pay off the Charger a lot sooner. Funny enough, a few years ago I would have thought of all the race entry fees, that money could go to. Oh well.

It is not enough to exist. I am going to live.

No comments: