Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Splish Splash

No not a swim workout post. Hmm, when was the last time I was in a pool. Oh well.

Uncharacteristically for Phoenix, we are getting quite a bit of rain this week. On the way home with the Mighty Mo we ran the water through the wheels so it created great big rooster tails. This took us many blocks out of the way. But it was fun. As we pulled onto our block we drove by our park and I noticed that the flood plain was already running high. So I stopped the car so we could watch a cascade come from the drain ditch into the park area.

Mighty Mo not used to seeing a flowing 'creek' in the city was very amused. We touched the rocks, we studied how the water jumped over obstacles. We got rained on. As we walked down to the water the water was pooling I remarked that we normally run through this area when we play but tonight it's filling up with water. He looks at me and smiles, "Daddy, lets run through the water."

Okay, freeze.

We are already standing in the rain. I just got done giving a very big presentation and my normally relaxed work wear was replaced today with slacks, dress shirt and dress shoes. How long did it take me to grab his hand and plow through calf deep water? About tens seconds less than it took you to read this paragraph.

Charge!

Mighty Mo and I laughed our butts off running through the water as it swirled and splashed around us. We. Got. Soaked. It was great.

As we pulled into the garage, we stripped off our shoes and turned them upside down. It seemed as full glasses of water were coming from them. My slacks, a dirty, soaking mess. The dress shoes may not be saved but who cares. Moments like this, in this city are far to rare. Plus it may be one of those very strange things that six year old boys remember doing with their dads as they get older.

2 comments:

Mommymeepa said...

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!

Andy said...

When is running through water puddles not fun? I think that is great that you are willing to have those moments with your child. Hope you are having a good week.