Sunday, January 10, 2010

My first long run back

Nothing makes a person work harder than having a goal. Signing up for a marathon five weeks out with almost zero base is not normal. Some would have me exchange sane for normal. So be it.
I have been using a treadmill at home, running about an hour or more, getting between five and six and half miles a few times a week. Of course I have been doing a lot of hiking so I have been externally on my feet. But I have not done a specific run workout into the seven mile distance since my taper for Ironman Arizona, April 2008. Of course I was injuried on the bike and never got to the run.
Today I ran 10.5 miles with an average pace of 9:30 per mile. After the first seven miles, my actually running pace dropped into the low to mid 8's, but have to add the intersections along my route. The last three miles was done at a pace about 90 seconds faster than the first seven. I love that.
In full disclosure, I was planning a 11-12 minute pace for the entire run which is why my pace was slower in the beginning. As I kept going, mile after mile, I felt stronger and as I would look at my Polar I would see my pace dropping with no extra precieved effort.
I truly do believe that running at a significantly slower pace with minders, I will be able to finish the Lost Dutchman marathon. Slowly, but nevertheless, I think I can succeed.
It's not enough to exist. I am going to live.

No comments: