Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shiny Things at work

While many find that driving today could not exist without TomTom, Nuvi or other dedicated automotive GPS system, I don't own one. Shock. However, on my last road trip of approximately 300 miles round trip, I was pleasantly surprised by what I do have.

First, I used my iPhone. I suppose any phone with an "I'm right here" map program is good, but I do like the map program that comes standard with the phone. The national park I was driving too, did not have a physical address, so I just plugged in the city, state and figured on using road signs for the rest. As I drove, the app showed me in Google map mode where I was on the road. Whenever I wanted to know how far I was from my destination I back up a page to reload the distance from my current location. Very cool.

Normally the iPhone app would lead me right to my destination, but I did not have a physical address. I did have GPS coordinates and my DeLorme PN-40 GPS. While playing around with it, I found I could plug in coordinates and give myself a driving route, rather than a foot based plotting. The latitude and longitude took me to the entrance of the park and then it beeped. Shocked the heck out of me. Then it beeped again. I will be using this feature more in the future.

I do believe that having a just for the are GPS would be a great peice of technology. Especially if you can search for businesses on it. Luckily I have an app called 'AroundMe' for my iPhone which helped with a tricky piece of business on this trip.

Normally for long trips, I pull out the portable DVD for Mighty Mo. He doesn't need it much but its a handy diversion. I loaned it out and got it back the morning of the trip uncharged which created the obvious problem of no movie distraction. On the way down this was not a problem for Mighty Mo he played with his Star Wars figures the entire time.

Coming back I decided to fix this problem and provide Mighty Mo with a working player. I know that Kinkos sells a converter from car power outlet to 120v plug. As I had the wall charger for the player if I could find a Kinkos and they had the unit, Mighty Mo would have a movie. The app took me right there. No way I would have found the store without it. And the converter makes a great new addition to the travel kit.

So, lets summarize. While car specific GPS systems are great, a smartphone system like the iPhone will work with little extra effort. Especially if you have a business searching app like the one I mentioned. There may be better, I don't know. AroundMe is free at the iTunes store. Next, if you have even an older GPS with updated road software, it is just as possible to drive yourself someplace as walk. Though be careful as your unit may not convert to driving and the directions you get will not take primary roads.

In this economy it is best to use what you have in a better way, rather than buy new stuff....yeah I don't believe that either, but it sounded good. As always you will get your monies worth out of the things your use.

It's not enough to exist. I am going to live.


No comments: